Big Yellow Flames Under Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrSmith99

Oct 31, 2015
illinois
I've got a Regency P36 fireplace that started to sound like rushing water (or gas) whenever we turned it on.
So, being a completely unqualified dummy I decided to take a look at the controls behind the bottom panel. As part of this process I wiggled the L-shaped wire thing that I think is the aeration control.
Now if I turn on the fireplace it has big yellow flames coming from beneath the burner. I've got a repairman coming next week, and I won't touch it before then. But I'm just wondering what I did.

Sounds to me like you're burning LP. You most likely have an alignment problem with the burner
orifice & the burner tube & you exacerbated the situation.
The wire you "wiggled' IS the Air Shutter & it should be WIDE OPEN (or nearly so) for burning LP.
You may have inadvertently closed it completely. The pressure of the LP & the fact that it is heavier
than air (& "puddles") is causing the ignition of the gas BEFORE it can get to the burner ports.

Sounds to me like you're burning LP. You most likely have an alignment problem with the burner
orifice & the burner tube & you exacerbated the situation.
The wire you "wiggled' IS the Air Shutter & it should be WIDE OPEN (or nearly so) for burning LP.
You may have inadvertently closed it completely. The pressure of the LP & the fact that it is heavier
than air (& "puddles") is causing the ignition of the gas BEFORE it can get to the burner ports.

It's actually natural gas, but I do think I must have moved something related to air intake.
Thanks for your reply.

i'm not familiar with your model, but a lot of new burners (ember bed refractory type) have been leaking out the bottom of the pan.
hopefully your technitioan knows his stuff.

on ng you likely need air shutter 1/2 or more closed....

i'm not familiar with your model, but a lot of new burners (ember bed refractory type) have been leaking out the bottom of the pan.
hopefully your technitioan knows his stuff.

on ng you likely need air shutter 1/2 or more closed....

Thanks for your reply. I'll report back when I have the problem solved in case it happens to other folks.