biggest round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
Whats the biggest round youll put in your stove.

I seldom put rounds in the stove. I split every round that can be split.

Maybe 3" across, everything else is split. Rick

Probably 3" to 4" diameter. They throw good heat, and they seem to hold up really well when I need coals on a cold morning. These are red oak, for what it's worth.

Yeah ive been burnin them whole if there less than 4 inches. Seem about the same as a split

5 - 6” round ....... Before I got a splitter.. I will still put in larger splits for overnight burns though.

Yeah a maul will change your mind about size real quick

atvdave said:
5 - 6” round ....... Before I got a splitter..
Before or after made virtually no difference to me except that a sharp axe can split a smaller piece than a blunt hydraulic ram.

LLigetfa said:
atvdave said:
5 - 6” round ....... Before I got a splitter..
Before or after made virtually no difference to me except that a sharp axe can split a smaller piece than a blunt hydraulic ram.

I'm not sure what your trying to say, but what ever it is.... Have fun with it.. and Peace out.

My brothers and myself will continue to use the splitter, and maybe a axe if where up to it.

My Quad burns best with loads of two 6-7" rounds... two of 'em cooking in it as I type. The NM doesn't like anything larger than 4-5", and only one of those along with smaller pieces.

About 5" in the Fireview. In our older stove we used to go 6-7." But, we don't use many rounds except the little 3 and 4" stuff.

Im looking for a stove i can put a 60 inch round in. That way I can put my mother in law in.

I've used 8-9" rounds before. I usually add a little more air or make sure I put them in a hot stove and make sure they're packe with other wood so they don't smolder so much.

Interesting...i've been burning some big rounds these past few days...7-8" rounds, if not a bit bigger. These were some stand dead poplar/dog wood trees that fell after that Sept. wind storm. I like 'em. I put 3 -4 of them in at about 10p.m. damper it way down, and at 6 a.m. there still burning, then throw a few splits on and ready for the day, i burn them thru the day, and on a mild 30-35 degree day, its average for me to get 7-8 hrs between re-loads and still have the house at 68*.

When i was cutting these up, i was thinking about all the stuff in read on here about the differnet types of wood, BTU"s , and burn times, i never thought these would burn as long as they do, you pick one of these up compared to an ash, or maple split, and even with the dogwood round being bigger, they somewhat lighter. There are a couple more dead ones behind the house i might just take down and supplement my wood supply for this season.

Post this in the OWB forum and you'll get some big numbers. I have neighbors with OWBs and huge piles of 8 foot cordwood all in the round. They don't split or season the stuff, just buck it in two, toss the suckers in and smoke out a square mile area. There otta be a law.

Status
Not open for further replies.