Bio Blocks and catalysts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jimmy C

Jan 30, 2020
Guilford, CT
Anyone with a catalytic stove use bio blocks? After realizing the rest of my wood supply is not yet seasoned, I stared burning bio blocks. I noticed my cat probe temps are lower than when burning wood. The stove will get hot quickly and stay hot but the cat temps stay under 1200. I was thinking it’s because the bio fuel gives off less smoke there is less cat activity. Any thoughts on this?

Anyone with a catalytic stove use bio blocks? After realizing the rest of my wood supply is not yet seasoned, I stared burning bio blocks. I noticed my cat probe temps are lower than when burning wood. The stove will get hot quickly and stay hot but the cat temps stay under 1200. I was thinking it’s because the bio fuel gives off less smoke there is less cat activity. Any thoughts on this?
I have they worked fine

I've used them (North Idaho Energy Logs, as well as one other similar type) in an effort to reduce smoke during stealth burning. Didn't work, they smoke just as much as cordwood. They work really well in my cat stove because they are so much denser than our local firewood species. So long burn times are easier.

If the price was right, I could see running 100% bio bricks.

Reactions: Twigster
My cat probe temp seems to stay between 1000 and 1100. I was getting better temps even with my not-so-seasoned wood. Burn times are good. Stove temps are good. Could be the Cat I guess.

Throw a couple splits of your wood in between and see how that does.