Bio Bricks this season - 4 Tons!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mjbrown said:
hi guys, thought i'd stop in and say thanx for the quik response! i posted a question on the 14th of jan. and still waiting for a answer...guess i will go with the pellet stove, at least people will answer questions for a new guy wanting to try something that might be better.

mike brown hartland, maine

Don't know where you posted your earlier question, but if you thought it was here, it wasn't... You are showing a total of two posts, both in this thread... If you meant to post it here, something burped, don't know where, and it didn't make it. Perhaps if you reposted?

Gooserider

mjbrown said:
hi guys, thought i'd stop in and say thanx for the quik response! i posted a question on the 14th of jan. and still waiting for a answer...guess i will go with the pellet stove, at least people will answer questions for a new guy wanting to try something that might be better.

I do belive i'm going to stay using pellets. i was thinking about doing both.

Gooserider said:
mjbrown said:

Don't know where you posted your earlier question, but if you thought it was here, it wasn't... You are showing a total of two posts, both in this thread... If you meant to post it here, something burped, don't know where, and it didn't make it. Perhaps if you reposted?

Gooserider

Goose,
He posted it in this thread, see post # 96 a little further up.

I think the Noobie question got lost in the activity of this hot topic. Perhaps someone should suggest he post a separate and specific question so it can be properly addressed. It would only get buried in this thread anyway.

ETA - I just took the liberty of PM'ing him with the suggestion that he post his Noobie questions separately.
~Cath

Cath said:
Gooserider said:
mjbrown said:

Gooserider

Goose,

I think the Noobie question got lost in the activity of this hot topic. Perhaps someone should suggest he post a separate and specific question so it can be properly addressed. It would only get buried in this thread anyway.

ETA - I just took the liberty of PM'ing him with the suggestion that he post his Noobie questions separately.
~Cath

You're right, my error... :red: I think the conversion factor I've heard is roughly 1.5 tons of BB's to 1 cord of wood, so that would be 3 tons for 2 cords, or 9 tons of BioBricks for 6 cords of wood - seems like an awful lot...

However you are also correct, in that the rest of his question would best be asked in a new thread...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Cath said:
Gooserider said:
mjbrown said:

Gooserider

Goose,

~Cath

You're right, my error... :red: I think the conversion factor I've heard is roughly 1.5 tons of BB's to 1 cord of wood, so that would be 3 tons for 2 cords, or 9 tons of BioBricks for 6 cords of wood - seems like an awful lot...

However you are also correct, in that the rest of his question would best be asked in a new thread...

Gooserider

Goose, I think you have it backwords. They advertise 1 ton of Bio's equal 1.5 cords of wood. ;)

DonCT said:
Gooserider said:
<snip>
I think the conversion factor I've heard is roughly 1.5 tons of BB's to 1 cord of wood, so that would be 3 tons for 2 cords, or 9 tons of BioBricks for 6 cords of wood - seems like an awful lot... However you are also correct, in that the rest of his question would best be asked in a new thread...
Gooserider

Goose, I think you have it backwords. They advertise 1 ton of Bio's equal 1.5 cords of wood. ;)

1.5 tons of Bios (at about 17MBtus/ton) to equal 1 cord of wood was a direct quote from earlier in this thread, The Biopellet website says one pallet (which IIRC is = 1 ton) is a replacement for one cord of 21% moisture cordwood... I'm not sure just who to believe, though I tend to be doubtful about manufacturer claims - (look at the claims for stoves about areas heated and burn times...) - but 1 - 1 does seem a bit more reasonable...

Gooserider

BioBricks, use and storage...

I purchased 15 packs as a trial from Terleckey brothers in Amsterdam, NY.

The stuff is VERY easy to handle, and priced right to augment my local cordwood supply.

It has, however, given me fits in storage.
I'm down to the last 6 packs, and ALL of them show signs of moisture infiltrating the bricks through the package seams.

Have the larger volume users a suggestion for outdoor storage?
(Mine are stacked next to my cordwood, under a tarp and shed.)

Vermont resolute and Hearthstone Homestead stoves

I have stored mine indoors however when they arrived on the skid they were wrapped with a very heavy plastic I would think they could stay outside for a short time. I am not so sure they could stay out long term.

BeGreen said:
The teepee is just to get 3 of them burning well. Then you need to create a solid stack of bricks surrounding the teepee as shown in the link provided. Try to avoid airspaces in the stack. It's the tightly stacked bricks that give the slow burn. But don't overload the stove, that's a lot of btus.

four BioBricks(tm) 4 - three leaning around balled up newsprint and one laying flat on top http://www.biopellet.net/instructions.html

NY Soapstone said:
BeGreen said:
NY Soapstone said:
Comparing the cordwood to bricks using BG's numbers, you need 1.5 tons of Bios (at about 17MBtus/ton) to equal 1 cord of wood (25MBtus).

They are very convenient but not a cheaper option than wood unless you're paying $375/cord for wood. (assuming the Bios are $250/ton)

-Colin

Colin, you are missing the weight of a cord of wood. That's correct as long as you remember a cord of wood is going to be 2 tons or more. So the bios make economic sense in many areas where cord wood is expensive.

BeGreen said:
A better comparison is the btus per ton. One ton of bio bricks = 17,000,000 btus (50 pkgs x 20 bricks x 17,000 btus). By comparison, a cord of white oak = 4000 - 4500#, 25,700,000 btus or if very dry, 12,850,000 btus / ton. Bio bricks emit 50% less particulates per cord burned which is impressive. Also, in a correctly packed stove, they release meaningful heat over a much longer time. This is one of the best features, especially for overnight burns.

BG - the BTU number I used (25M Btus) was your number by the cord - which is how the wood is sold. You could do the calculation on a unit ton of each as well - but you'd have to divide the price of the cord roughly in half when translating to dollars, since a ton of wood is a lot less than a cord, as you state, and I think it makes the comparison less clear:

Example:

1 ton of BioBricks = 17M BTUs for $250
1 ton of wood = ~1/2 (cordwood price) = $200/cord * 0.5 = $100/ton = 13M BTUs for $100

Either way you'd come out to the same conclusion which you also said in your last post - you have to be paying in the ballpark of $400/cord before the biobricks are cheaper.

-Colin

BioPellet said:
NY Soapstone said:
BeGreen said:
NY Soapstone said:
Comparing the cordwood to bricks using BG's numbers, you need 1.5 tons of Bios (at about 17MBtus/ton) to equal 1 cord of wood (25MBtus).

They are very convenient but not a cheaper option than wood unless you're paying $375/cord for wood. (assuming the Bios are $250/ton)

-Colin

Colin, you are missing the weight of a cord of wood. That's correct as long as you remember a cord of wood is going to be 2 tons or more. So the bios make economic sense in many areas where cord wood is expensive.

BeGreen said:
A better comparison is the btus per ton. One ton of bio bricks = 17,000,000 btus (50 pkgs x 20 bricks x 17,000 btus). By comparison, a cord of white oak = 4000 - 4500#, 25,700,000 btus or if very dry, 12,850,000 btus / ton. Bio bricks emit 50% less particulates per cord burned which is impressive. Also, in a correctly packed stove, they release meaningful heat over a much longer time. This is one of the best features, especially for overnight burns.

BG - the BTU number I used (25M Btus) was your number by the cord - which is how the wood is sold. You could do the calculation on a unit ton of each as well - but you'd have to divide the price of the cord roughly in half when translating to dollars, since a ton of wood is a lot less than a cord, as you state, and I think it makes the comparison less clear:

Example:

1 ton of BioBricks = 17M BTUs for $250
1 ton of wood = ~1/2 (cordwood price) = $200/cord * 0.5 = $100/ton = 13M BTUs for $100

Either way you'd come out to the same conclusion which you also said in your last post - you have to be paying in the ballpark of $400/cord before the biobricks are cheaper.

Colin, Have you ever burned BioBricks(tm)? One pound of BioBricks DELIVERS the same heat as 1.7 lb of 21% cordwood. An average NE cord of wood weighs 3400 lb. A pallet of biobricks weighs at least 3250 they are the same.
-Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.