BioBricks / EcoLogs? Suggestions... What to use (my location is New Hampshire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sully1515

Jun 5, 2017
New Hampshire
I currently have 5-1/2 cords of wood currently seasoning in my woodshed. Approx. 1/2 to 3/4 cord of firewood has properly seasoned for this years use. My wife and I are new to our home and I had been cutting and stacking pretty much all summer.

For the time being, for this year anyway, I was thinking about trying those artificial logs. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to burn?

For example, I'm somewhat familiar with BioBricks. I know they burn clean and burn hot. From my assumption (I can be wrong), there are no waxes or chemicals that could harm your stove / flu / chimney. BioBricks are highly compressed hardwood chips with no fillers.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to burn? Would you use BioBricks, or, would you consider EcoLogs (or similar)? If you are located in New Hampshire (or northern Massachusetts), are there any brands that you would consider for your wood stove? Any and all insight is highly suggested!

Thanks!

Buy a couple brands now and test them out, wait until black Friday and get 2 or 3 tons worth at a discount. I did enjoy burning redstones from tractor supply.

I currently have 5-1/2 cords of wood currently seasoning in my woodshed. Approx. 1/2 to 3/4 cord of firewood has properly seasoned for this years use. My wife and I are new to our home and I had been cutting and stacking pretty much all summer.

For the time being, for this year anyway, I was thinking about trying those artificial logs. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to burn?

For example, I'm somewhat familiar with BioBricks. I know they burn clean and burn hot. From my assumption (I can be wrong), there are no waxes or chemicals that could harm your stove / flu / chimney. BioBricks are highly compressed hardwood chips with no fillers.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to burn? Would you use BioBricks, or, would you consider EcoLogs (or similar)? If you are located in New Hampshire (or northern Massachusetts), are there any brands that you would consider for your wood stove? Any and all insight is highly suggested!

Thanks!

Did you ever wind up buying/trying any of these? If so, what was your experience? I'm in the same situation as you were last year with a new house. We have 6 cords stacked and drying right now; I think some of the non-oak hickory will be ready to burn this year but I'd like to have a backup just in case.

We have tried Fiber Fuel blocks made in Canada. Lewis is the manufacturer. Apparently they are a large mill that makes trim and molding and uses the saw dust to make the blocks. They are a very fine pressing and they work great. Burn very hot and long. We have used Bio Block brand with good results, but prefer the Lewis Fiber Fuel.
Fiber Fuel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
We have tried Fiber Fuel blocks made in Canada. Lewis is the manufacturer. Apparently they are a large mill that makes trim and molding and uses the saw dust to make the blocks. They are a very fine pressing and they work great. Burn very hot and long. We have used Bio Block brand with good results, but prefer the Lewis Fiber Fuel.
View attachment 228292
How much $$$ for a ton?

Here is another solid fuel source for New England
http://www.hearthwise.com/
Hearthwise
44 Mead St, Leominster, MA 01453
978-479-0925

View attachment 228292
Interesting, They're made from kiln dried wood so the sawdust is going to be very dry before compressing. I'd like to try these but they are exclusive to New England and NE Canada.

View attachment 228292
Interesting, I would definitely like to get some of these just to have in case wood doesn’t season as quickly as I want this year, and also because my wife really isn’t into starting/ tending to the fire if I’m not home... usually I come home to a wood stove filled with wood that has gone out; these might make it easier for her. The problem for me is that the only place within reasonable distance to me that sells a product like these is $350 a pallet, which is way too expensive for me. I may check out the vendor in Leominster that was mentioned. They’re about an hour from me

Interesting, I would definitely like to get some of these just to have in case wood doesn’t season as quickly as I want this year, and also because my wife really isn’t into starting/ tending to the fire if I’m not home... usually I come home to a wood stove filled with wood that has gone out; these might make it easier for her. The problem for me is that the only place within reasonable distance to me that sells a product like these is $350 a pallet, which is way too expensive for me. I may check out the vendor in Leominster that was mentioned. They’re about an hour from me
If it helps any, I bought my father a pallet of compressed wood fuel 3 years ago for xmas and it was $330, so the price really hasn't fluctuated in the last few years, a few places offer a discount if your buying multiple pallets, so if you have a friend that's also interested buy them together, you may get a discount

If it helps any, I bought my father a pallet of compressed wood fuel 3 years ago for xmas and it was $330, so the price really hasn't fluctuated in the last few years, a few places offer a discount if your buying multiple pallets, so if you have a friend that's also interested buy them together, you may get a discount

That’s a really good idea. I’m going to have to make friends with some people that have wood stoves... almost nobody I know has one. I think some of my neighbors do though

You should check out pellets direct in Uxbridge. MA. Last I checked they had good prices and a lot of choices.

You should check out pellets direct in Uxbridge. MA. Last I checked they had good prices and a lot of choices.
Wow easily the best prices I've seen. More than $100 less per pallet than anywhere near me. I think the only issue to me might be delivery cost

Did you ever wind up buying/trying any of these? If so, what was your experience? I'm in the same situation as you were last year with a new house. We have 6 cords stacked and drying right now; I think some of the non-oak hickory will be ready to burn this year but I'd like to have a backup just in case.

Dug:

Late response as I'm just noticing this now. Yes, I purchased quite a bit last year. This year, I purchased two tons to supplement with my firewood. They work great, burn nice and hot.

I've used, and really like, the Envi blocks. I like the larger ones, get longer burns from them.

Reactions: Sully1515