Biobricks - how many in a medium size stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
Ideally I'd have plenty of seasoned wood on hand. That not being the case, I thought I'd try Biobricks. Last time used a similar product from a popular chain store, I experienced them falling part as many other reviewers did. Fortunately I found Biobricks locally. That product's reviews were positive overall. They seem to burn well, but I wonder how many bricks do others put into a medium size stove at once? I've been averaging 3 - seems 4 may be burning too hot and quickly.

I've been using them the last few days after getting the stove hot with firewood. Haven't yet started the stove with them exclusively.

Ideally I'd have plenty of seasoned wood on hand. That not being the case, I thought I'd try Biobricks. Last time used a similar product from a popular chain store, I experienced them falling part as many other reviewers did. Fortunately I found Biobricks locally. That product's reviews were positive overall. They seem to burn well, but I wonder how many bricks do others put into a medium size stove at once? I've been averaging 3 - seems 4 may be burning too hot and quickly.

I've been using them the last few days after getting the stove hot with firewood. Haven't yet started the stove with them exclusively.
Not more than 3. You need to shut down the air for 80% as soon as stove temp hits 300+.

I mixed them with my marginal wood last season. Load your stove with the same weight as a normal load of cordwood. If they are the BioBrick brand they weigh 2lbs each. Three bricks would be a tiny load and probably not going to heat your house.

I bought Biobricks XL. According to the package they're 3-4 lbs each, ( they all look identical to me) the pack of 6 is also labelled 18 lbs. I have 3 in at the moment. With the furnace off all day (actually lowest setting possible) and about 36 degrees they're sufficient. Later I'll
add wood, certainly less cost to heat with.

I bought Biobricks XL. According to the package they're 3-4 lbs each, ( they all look identical to me) the pack of 6 is also labelled 18 lbs. I have 3 in at the moment. With the furnace off all day (actually lowest setting possible) and about 36 degrees they're sufficient. Later I'll
add wood, certainly less cost to heat with.
My apologies, I didn't realize you had the XL. I think 3-4 bricks would be plenty if you don't need too much heat.

That's quite all right! I agree anything smaller wouldn't quite be up to par.