Biomass Boiler - coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaoneill

Feeling the Heat
Finally getting the hang of the Biomass unit; whole different animal than the Econoburn but the longer I use it the better I like it.

I am picturing a shortage of dry wood towards spring so I have a simple question. Did I not see, in cruising this site over the last few months, a warning about trying to burn coal in a biomass boiler? For the first time in many years coal is available locally and a ton or so would make up for the wood shortage but really don't want to open a can of worms. It's either coal or dead standing elm but I'd like to renew the supply sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any thoughts on this....
Jim

I burned a few bags of coal in my EKO last winter--towards the end when I was running out of wood. I've burned coal on and off over the years and never had much luck with anything other than throwing a few shovelfuls on a nice bed of coals and wood at night to get a couple extra hours out of the burn on cold nights. I did wind up with a bunch of unburned chunks in the ashes, so obviously I wasn't doing an exemplary job.

Don't try to mix coal and green or wet wood, though, because you'll produce sulfuric acid, which eats just about everything connected to your stove.

I think these boilers are designed to burn coal exclusively, but I've never made a sincere effort to do that.

Never tried coal but you should be okay. The manual says it will burn coal. I think I'd get a nice coal bed from wood then throw some coal on top. Hopefully someone who has some experience with it will chime in as I am also curious about burning coal.

Cant say if your unit is capable of burning it, but if it is don't give up on coal if at first you don't succeed.
Start with small amounts and work up. May have to position coal on grates differently till you find what works.
I burn Bituminous in a Woodchuck with great results .

Status
Not open for further replies.