bit of a wild question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Greets all.

I have a bit of a weird question. I'm sure the answer is "no" but I guess my real question would be "why"

Creosote buildup is the product of unburnt fuel that makes it's way out of a fireplace or stove and exits the fire as smoke, correct?

So then, when sweeping out your chimney, or liner, or what have you...why couldn't you collect the creosote in some sort of bucket or tin can and then.......burn it! It's essentially wasted fuel, if you can recover it, why not put it to use instead of disposing of it?

Maybe sprinkle it onto your startup wood pile to give the fire a boost...or something.

So like I said, I'm sure they answer is that that's a bad idea....but....why?

This is just a stab, but many of hte unburnt hydrocarbons have really high ignition temps, so you might just end up re-depositing them? That's what a cat does is reduce the ignition temp of some hard to ignite hydrocarbons through chemical reaction.

Creosote can be burned. That is what causes chimney fires- when it burns in the chimney. I don't see much reason not to burn it- except that it may burn too hot and overfire your stove if you put in more than a little. I would guess that the dust may be mildly explosive when airborne as well.

kind of along the same lines as smoking the resin scraped out of a pipe, and that certainly does the trick... well so im told. have to agree with Adios Pants, though i say give it a shot but dont go overboard till you know how it will react (ie overfire).

Put it in a paper bag and toss it into the backyard firepit. Please report back with your findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.