Bixby fan issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KingArfer

Nov 16, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I am running a Bixby Maxfire, SN 6145, burning pellets. When it's set at 1, the convection fan stops and starts. The fan itself spins freely and doesn't make any noise. The stove isn't putting out a lot of heat, and after several hours it will shut down, lights 2 and 3 blinking. Cleaned the flue, ran it again, did the same thing. Could it be an issue with the exhaust fan? I've played with the air and feed rates, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. When it's set to 8, it puts out a fair amount of heat but will eventually shut down, usually with light 2 on and not responding to the touch pad, and the convection fan running at full speed. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I should add that it has a brand new thermocouple, plugged into the correct spot. Also did a thorough cleaning, removing the feeder wheel and vacuuming out fines, etc. Took off the exhaust fan cover today and there wasn't much there, but I still cleaned off the impellers and vacuumed. Also have a lazy flame, with plenty of ash on top of the burner plates (been that way with the ash since day one).

Last edited: