BK Ashford 30.1 clearances and chimney adapters.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tegbert

Feeling the Heat
Sep 15, 2016
Arlington Wa
Thinking about adding an ashford but before I commit to buy I need to make sure it will work in my house.

Current hearth is 31 1/2” deep from back brick wall to where the front brick trim sticks up a 1/2” higher. Center of chimney is 3’5” from left wall (Sheetrock not side brick wall) and 22 3/4” from center to Sheetrock. I have a hearth extension board currently in front of our current stove to meet requirements. Back brick wall is 5” thick.

Currently the issue is clearances. Particularly Because they say in the brochure that it is 31”deep with the fans. Moving the new stove to the outer edge of the brick gives me about 1/2” to the brick wall so in total 5 1/2” which is shy of the 6”. Someone mentioned in another post that the lip of the ash drawer (which seems to be where the 31” is measured to) to the front legs is 2 3/4”. So if I place the legs at the 31” mark and the drawer lip hangs over the raised brick it gives me 3 1/4” to the brick which gives me about 8 1/4” to the Sheetrock.

Does that sound correct? Or does anyone have the exact measurement from the front of the legs to the lip?

Now the chimney portion.

With the current stove it is a straight shot through the roof but the new one will be back towards the wall by 4 1/8”. Currently the chimney is 17 3/4” from the brick wall. If the above clearances will work the new one will be 13 5/8”. What do I need to get to make this work? Looking at offsets for duravent in 45* would push it back about 5” which again if clearances worked above I have a little wiggle room to move it back the 7/8”.

Only saying duravent because that’s what I have currently have inside. Can the 45s be right off the support box or do you need to space them down first? If so how much? Most likely will need a new telescoping pipe as my flue gauge is not far below the joint. For the new stove from the top of it to the ceiling is a little over 56”.

And finally for now with the added 45s how much does that affect the height of the chimney? Right now I’m at 14ft. Planning on adding an additional 2ft possibly 3.

Sorry for all the questions and probably confusing at that just want to make sure it will work. Here’s a couple pictures of the setup now and a horrible drawing of dimensions that’s a mess.

0dda6de6c312daa9342074e2a1c73f45.png1c7af1e8f46c281565b4b603985c8d10.jpg543d36f635d894c78b52650220583bd4.jpgfe0617fedf135a211d5e8c7a79070b45.jpg

Lopi Rockport

My local guy measures from the knife edge of the loading door opening to the front of the hearth. Doesnt mean your guy will.

Either way you are good on the back and sides but are going to need more hearth at the front of the stove - the install you got is asking for rug burns. My local fire chief would say, "I hope hes got good insurance."

I would put the 45s as close to the celing as possible, 2-3 added feet sounds about right. It will do fine below freezing, slow burns at low stat settings might be troublesome with only 2 feet added.

Ill measure from knife edge to front lip of drawer here in a couole minutes.

On my ashford 30.0 the distance from the knife edge/ door seal to the front of the lip is 3.5 ish inches... and my cropped picnis too large to upload. From the front edge of the foot on the floor to the door sealing surface, close to an inch horizontal, way less than 2 inches.

What i would be tempted to do in your shoes is put the stove up on the existung brick, do something workmanlike with the elbows in the flue to set it back a bit... and then measure for front clearance.

Then have the wife pick out some ceramic tile, whatever color and with the carpet cit back put down a grid of full size tiles, 3x4, 4x8 tiles, whatever.

Once you trim the carpet back, lay down that tile with no tile saw required, once you have the stove rolling in cold weather i will wager 25 us dollars that you will find your wife, the dog, both kids and all three cats laying on that tile grid when you come in from the cold.

No idea where in WA you are. Start with hiwever much pipe you can add without changing the pipe brace on the roof.

I am thinking +3 feet on what you have will be satisfactory, but thats a guess.

On my ashford 30.0 the distance from the knife edge/ door seal to the front of the lip is 3.5 ish inches... and my cropped picnis too large to upload. From the front edge of the foot on the floor to the door sealing surface, close to an inch horizontal, way less than 2 inches.

What i would be tempted to do in your shoes is put the stove up on the existung brick, do something workmanlike with the elbows in the flue to set it back a bit... and then measure for front clearance.

Then have the wife pick out some ceramic tile, whatever color and with the carpet cit back put down a grid of full size tiles, 3x4, 4x8 tiles, whatever.

Once you trim the carpet back, lay down that tile with no tile saw required, once you have the stove rolling in cold weather i will wager 25 us dollars that you will find your wife, the dog, both kids and all three cats laying on that tile grid when you come in from the cold.

The reason I wanted the legs to the front ash lip dimensions is because blaze king at least in their dimensions drawing shows 31” from the back of the fans to that lip. I need that info to see if I can move the front legs so they sit right behind the brick trim that sits higher than the rest in order to get clearance from the back of the stove.

I know for front clearance/ ember protection it is from the door seal/ knife edge like you said. We plan on redoing the hearth area probably next summer and extending it out where it should be but level with the carpet the only problem is we have plank and beam flooring and I’ve read that laying tile down you need to reinforce the area for the added weight but need to research it more. For now the hearth extension board will have to do it is 18” wide.

Lopi Rockport

Rough measurements here.

You can see that the lip is rounded. At the outermost point it’s almost in line with that mortar line.
f9427cf186089c96c44f9eb9c15a12d5.heic.jpg

Taking that over to the leg. It looks like about 2”.
84fc9641201a3d235145bbe58e1adcbd.heic.jpg

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tegbert
Sorry to change the subject but may I ask why you're thinking about getting rid of your Rockport? I ask because I just installed one after considering an Ashford...I'm still figuring it out after switching from an old Englander 12-FP but its certainly miles ahead of where that stove was.

Sorry to change the subject but may I ask why you're thinking about getting rid of your Rockport? I ask because I just installed one after considering an Ashford...I'm still figuring it out after switching from an old Englander 12-FP but its certainly miles ahead of where that stove was.

Since I try to avoid using the electric baseboard heaters in the house we use this for our main source of heat so in shoulder season when it’s chilly in the morning but warms up as the day goes on the the house ends up being about mid 80s. I’ve tried using only a split or two and still the same results. It is definitely a great heater but it’s output on low is too much for our house even sometimes when it is in the 20s outside we are running it on low and our house is in the mid to high 70s.

Our stove is right in the middle of the house on the other side of the kitchen and with having slightly under 8’ tall ceilings the heat gets overwhelming sometimes. Having a stove that we can turn down lower seems to be a good fit for us. The only other option is to install an insert in the fireplace at the other end of the house but I’m worried that we will have a hard time getting the heat to the other end to the bedrooms. So I’m weighing my options on a new stove that can be turned down lower or an insert in the other room and run it hoping it gets heat to the other side.

Don’t get me wrong I love the rockport it works great but may just be too much stove for our house.

Lopi Rockport

You’ll love the Ashford for the ability to turn it down low.
My wife had me start a fire lastnight because she was “chilly”. I put 4 or 5 chunks of pine left over from last years odds & ends pile and started burning.
I looked at the outside temp AFTER I started the fire. It was 60 outside.
We were able to get the stove turned down enough to keep the house 73-74 all night and I still had coals in the morning.

On the other side. When it’s very cold outside we are usually burning on a medium setting with the fan always on. With a full load of pine I can still usually get 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: