BK Princess being weird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
the princess stat is much different than the stove. There is a chain involved and the dial spins the opposite way. The older ones had dots instead of numbers. I do know that when the thing catastrophically fails it’s supposed to shut the thermostat to minimum burn.

Is the knob spinning on the shaft during any point of its travel?

Reactions: lsucet
So I went to town on the stove over the break. Comes apart easy. I noticed that the bolt at the top of this picture was pretty loose so I tightened it.
Damper1.jpeg
After that, I oiled everything up, and it was working great again, as you can see the yellow line wen t straight again.
Damper2.jpeg

Now however, it is back on its crap today. It will not shut down on its own, so it lets the stove get very hot and the room temp goes way up.
If the stove cools, it opens, and it gets very close to closing at high heat, but never closes all the way.

The stove is dangerous now in my opinion.
Weird that it only worked well for 2 days.

the princess stat is much different than the stove. There is a chain involved and the dial spins the opposite way. The older ones had dots instead of numbers. I do know that when the thing catastrophically fails it’s supposed to shut the thermostat to minimum burn.
Does not look like that is actually the case

Does not look like that is actually the case

How so? If that chain or the spring breaks, the flapper will flap shut. The stove thermostat is much different but has this same fail safe feature.

If the stove cools, it opens, and it gets very close to closing at high heat, but never closes all the way.

We don't know what's going on with your thermostat but there is no catastrophic failure. You seem to have simply lost part of your control. Could be as simple as the intake flapper is crooked in it's hinge. I see in the photo that the flapper is not seated even though the chain is slack. Did you sort that out?

How so? If that chain or the spring breaks, the flapper will flap shut. The stove thermostat is much different but has this same fail safe feature.

If the chain breaks yeah, but here I have a case of the chain being stuck open. I have to watch the stove very carefully.

Mine will stick open if I burn it on full throttle. After burning in a new load I slap it closed to make sure it’s not sticking when I turn it down. My stove is older and doesn’t have that third screw that stops the throttle blade from opening to much.

Contact your dealer. We can get you a new cover with properly located over travel screw at no charge.

Reactions: Highbeam
So I went to town on the stove over the break. Comes apart easy. I noticed that the bolt at the top of this picture was pretty loose so I tightened it.
View attachment 268004
After that, I oiled everything up, and it was working great again, as you can see the yellow line wen t straight again.
View attachment 268005

Now however, it is back on its crap today. It will not shut down on its own, so it lets the stove get very hot and the room temp goes way up.

The stove is dangerous now in my opinion.
Weird that it only worked well for 2 days.
Sadly, you did not call us. If you had, we would have shared that "nut" tension is incredibly important. As the metals expand, the tolerance decreases. Tightening the nut presented a greater hazard and could cause the blade to remain full throttle.

Second, those two oval slots that had two screws in them, were also calibrated to provide the correct amount of travel for the thermostat beaded chain.

You will have to start from scratch. We are nearly always available. Please call tomorrow and ask for support.
509-522-2730 Ask for Francisco.

Also, where did you purchase the metal monolith combustor?

Lastly, do not use the stove until we/you fix and make the unit safe.

BKVP

Last edited:
Reactions: rdust