BL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is Black Locust. I don't see any medullary rays in the wood so that would rule out oak (I think in these pics you'd see the rays if it was oak). The bark looks like BL to me and so does the yellowish wood color. The tree does seem to be a rather smooth barked specimen in some of the pics, but not really out of the normal range for BL.

That is abso-tively, posi-lutely 100% black locust. If c/s/s in a sunny, windy location - it will be below 20% by this time next year. You can split it into nice ,big chuncks - they will be GREAT for overnight burns. I have about 2 cords of BL for this seasons coldest nights, and about 4 cords for next year. Awesome firewood.

Yeah cameras and photo software can play tricks with color. If indeed it is a lot more yellowy-greenish when fresh split then I'd say BL. It doesnt look yellowy-greenish it all on my screen though. It does tend to turn to brown after a while though, especially the saw cut ends. The bark is much smoother than any BL I have cut up but does kinda look like it. The pattern of most BL around here also slightly criss-crosses which I dont see but harder to tell when cut into short rounds, and it doesnt always seem to do that. It does have a different odor but how do you describe odors in words? About the only thing I can come up with is stinky/punget. Definitely not my favorite wood to take a big wiff of when freshly split!

Status
Not open for further replies.