BL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Is this Black Locust? If not, what say you.

This wood was pretty heavy and wet. It had a very distinctive smell, but I cound't put my finger on the scent. Freshly spit it read 38% on the MM. The one consistent characteristic besides the wavy thick furrowed bark was a whitish outer ring berfore the bark along with a chalkish reddish hue.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 582
Looks like an oak variety to me. Did it split easy?

I think you were in splitting-beast-mode, and split your dog on accident (I hope it was an accident!) in the 3rd pic.

Lol...nah, he was just trying to eat some bugs. He's all good.

The wood looks like locust, it is very yellow looking when first split. The bark is usually more furrowed. Perhaps it is honey locust.

Stax said:
Is this Black Locust? If not, what say you.

This wood was pretty heavy and wet. It had a very distinctive smell, but I cound't put my finger on the scent. Freshly spit it read 38% on the MM. The one consistent characteristic besides the wavy thick furrowed bark was a whitish outer ring berfore the bark along with a chalkish reddish hue.

Not sure on the wood but in picture 1470 there is a small animal stuck in your split. :snake:

zap

BL 100%

All from the same tree? The round in pic 1473 at the top (red handled toy right above) is very charectoristic of BL. Dark high raised almost V shaped peaked bark. Other rounds are a little smooth and the color is a little light. Maybe just the pic and some natural variation.

Locust does have a different smell to it that is hard to describe. With the color and the ring pattern it looks like BL to me.

Zap, just how the pic came out. He's on the other side of the spit. Jatox...tree company was cutting it. All piled right next to the stump. I believe so.

Stax said:
Zap, just how the pic came out. He's on the other side of the spit. Jatox...tree company was cutting it. All piled right next to the stump. I believe so.

Then I'm sold, BL it is.

If it indeed is BL, how fast will it season split and stacked single rows in the wind?

Did a simple google search. The pic on the left is black locust. Judging by the reddish interior of the bark and the prominent white ring, I might have to agree. The black ring was identified and labeled on the first pic but I forget the term. It's how the roots carry nutrients to the tree. In my photo it isn't viewable.

Attachments

• 2011-10-10.jpg
    2011-10-10.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 494
I'm not 100% sold on BL, I thought it had a bit more yellow to it. I'm leaning more towards Red Oak.
Are the leaves under the rounds from this tree?

Not your typical BL, but I would put my money on it. Greenish yellow when split. Straight rounds pop apart when splitting. Probably a younger tree. After split and stacked, it will easily be ready in one year.

Wood, pics don't do justice for real color. It is more yellow in person. No leaves.

A few of those rounds look very much like BL but overall, that bark is doesn't seem right. If the splits are very yellow I'd be inclined to think it's mulberry because of the smoother bark. Is that possible?

I'm going with BL as well. Dries fast but at 38%, sounds like it was a live tree. It'll be good next year.

It is the right shape. The unround piece looks like BL. The wood should look almost green when split and smell a little like sweet dirt when fresh. Here is some BL that I cut a few weeks ago.
DSC06764.jpg

The bark on your rounds does not look as deeply ridged as I am used to seeing.

Stax,

Have you finished your install? I remember looking at the thread when you were doing the Demo but havent seen the finished product. Looks like from your avatar you may have finished?

Doesn't really have that classic black locust bark look . . .

Remmy...check the signature for all 4 parts of the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.