Black Birch for burning in a furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etoh100

Hearth Supporter
Jul 5, 2006
Central PA
Hi there, Newbie here in Central PA. I've been cuttin' oak out in the woods behind the house and am starting to get tired of zig-zagging the wood hauler around all the black/sweet birches to get to the oaks and thought I'd get some advice on burning the birch. I've heard that it burns hot, but doesn't last. Charts say BTU's and weight per cord is better than oak. So, my question is, should I start taking down some of these birches (some are probably 18-20" dia.) to burn and how hard are they to split? I've heard they can be pretty tough and stringy. I don't care how they smell, look, taste, etc.; I just need a good lasting overnight burn in my Yukon furnace. Thanks for any tips and advice, and all the useful info in this forum!! Keep it comin'!

Black Birch is excellent fuelwood; it burns well, throws nice heat and lasts longer than White or Paper Birch. Will it burn as long as the Oak?-no. Is it tough to split at times?-yes, it can be. But it is great wood that I grab whenever I have the chance to get some. I would recommend getting some.

Reactions: astonvilla65
I would not pass by a black birch for oak, the birch will season alot faster than oak and works just as well in my op

One of my favorite species of wood to burn in the middle of winter is Black Birch.
Black birch will season much faster than oak .....I doubt you will see any real world difference between them
(White Oak coals a bit better).........I'll grab Black Birch before Red Oak anyday.

WoodButcher

EtOH said:
... black/sweet birches ... I've heard that it burns hot, but doesn't last. Charts say BTU's and weight per cord is better than oak.

I think the story about birch burning hot and fast probably comes from the great white north and White or Paper birch, not Black Birch. Black Birch is a much denser wood than White Birch. I guess it burns faster than oak, but still is one of the denser hardwoods around and definitely worth taking. You don't really hear a lot about Black Birch, I think because it grows in places where there are lots of other great hardwoods. If Black Birch grew in the far north or out west, it would be legendary hardwood.

Wood Duck said:
EtOH said:
... black/sweet birches ... I've heard that it burns hot, but doesn't last. Charts say BTU's and weight per cord is better than oak.

I think the story about birch burning hot and fast probably comes from the great white north and White or Paper birch, not Black Birch. Black Birch is a much denser wood than White Birch. I guess it burns faster than oak, but still is one of the denser hardwoods around and definitely worth taking. You don't really hear a lot about Black Birch, I think because it grows in places where there are lots of other great hardwoods. If Black Birch grew in the far north or out west, it would be legendary hardwood.

+1

Plus, love that wintergreen smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.