Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graycatman

Mar 7, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
A current thread suggests that white birch may rot quicker than other hard woods. Is the same true of black birch? Also, does black birch season well in one year c/s/s, or does it need more like 2-3 years like oak? Thanks for your advice.

graycatman said:
A current thread suggests that white birch may rot quicker than other hard woods. Is the same true of black birch? Also, does black birch season well in one year c/s/s, or does it need more like 2-3 years like oak? Thanks for your advice.

I don't think all birch is created equal. I've had enough yellow birch, and it seems to behave as most other hardwoods.

I have learned here and found out for myself that black birch will rot quickly if it is not split. The bark is an excellent water barrier. If it is processed correctly, birch is a great high btu fuel.

All birch bark helps with water retention in wood and will make it rot faster when not split. Does not matter if it is Black/sweet, paper, yellow, river or anything else.

Black or white, there shall be no fight
Just cut split and stack and all will be right.

Backwoods Savage said:
Black or white, there shall be no fight
Just cut split and stack and all will be right.

LOL a poet and you don't know it!

Ray

My feet are longfellows too.

Status
Not open for further replies.