Black flakes outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Foggy Mtn

Jan 8, 2022
Tennessee
Had some of these black flakes outside after a hot fire last night. It’s been mild off and on so far this winter. We’ve tried to keep hot fires. Flue was swept before fall. Any ideas ?

IMG_1080.jpeg IMG_1081.jpeg

I burn conifers, what I have found is thought the process it coats the chimney pipe with a fine ash. When I first started burning I also found these flakes outside on the snow. I did try to ignite one of the delicate flakes, it would not ignite it would only smolder only with no flame. I have assumed they are harmless.You can see a small flake on the temp probe, and flaking off further up the stove pipe. I think it is part of normal operation.

20181230_101034.jpg

Also interested in other folks experience with this. I get it occasionally same thing always on a cold start never hard flakes.

Cold flue contracts, when heated it expands. This action loosens any residue on your flue wall and is carried up and out of the flue with the draft.

I see these at times on my roof. I sweep the liner myself and always know that I burn pretty clean and that the build up is not too much. For me, it’s been part of normal burning.

Last February I had some small black soot particles in the snow on my deck stairs and patio bricks. Not a lot. Chimney guy said it happens dislodges with hot fire and wind.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick