Black Friday wish list for wood stove/wood cutting products?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulBunyun

Oct 15, 2019
Michigan
I'll start! A really nice canvas wood carrying bag is a must have for moving wood into the house from the stand by stack outside.

There's actually nothing on my list, other than the realization I'm at least 2-3 years past the date when I started saying I should get around to replacing the bricks in one of my stoves... now both.

But thinking back to when I was new to this, there were a lot of things to buy. Making a list of them might be almost enough to scare off any new wood burner:

1. Stove and install
  2. Dry wood
  3. Wood rack near the house
  4. Wood shed away from the house
  5. Ash can
  6. Ash vac
  7. Ash plow
  8. Gloves
  9. Log tote
  10. Fire starters
  11. Wagon
  12. Tractor to pull wagon
  13. Chainsaws (must be plural!)
  14. Spare chains
  15. Plastic wedges
  16. Bar oil and 2-stroke oil
  17. Chain grinder (or files)
  18. Maul and your favorite strap, tire, bungee
  19. Hydraulic splitter fund, for when the maul does it's eventual damage to your shoulders
  20. Bigger tractor with front-end loader to lift logs and rounds
  21. A bigger wood shed, now that you've really caught the bug
  22. More time to spend at hearth.com
You can see how this can get away from you.

Last edited:
Woodshed, Finished custom blockoff plate.

Reactions: PaulBunyun
Been sharpening my blades w/ a dremal lately, I'd like a battery dremal for when I'm away from the house cutting

Reactions: BillBurns
I want a good vintage axe. I have 2 hatchets, but they really cant split the bigger stuff.

Reactions: PaulBunyun
Wood carrying bag. Bought a cheap one 5 years ago and it's on its last leg. Also a 10ft wood rack.

I just back from visiting the local logging supply store, it was 30% off today. I did buy a couple of things but over the years I just about have the gear I need. I suspect that anyone who had never been to the place would have walked out with a trunk full.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Big bore upgrade for Dolmar 6400 chainsaw (so it goes up to 79cc from 64cc, Hyway). And a chain breaker/spinner. Hopefully, both will be long term payoffs. I'm still looking for the between hatchet and splitting axe (a wedge banger). Maybe I'll just get/find a small sledgehammer.

Been sharpening my blades w/ a dremal lately, I'd like a battery dremal for when I'm away from the house cutting
Does the Dremel work good? I honestly never thought to use mine for this. Its basically for my wifes crafts. Any tips?

Bigger isnt always better, but depends on the space you are heating. Some on here put in as much wood in one fire than I burn in a week, due to the bigger fire box. I just like small, low maintenance. If you can swing a bigger one, and keep up with the wood supply, Id go for it.

Reactions: VintageGal
Bigger isnt always better, but depends on the space you are heating. Some on here put in as much wood in one fire than I burn in a week, due to the bigger fire box. I just like small, low maintenance. If you can swing a bigger one, and keep up with the wood supply, Id go for it.
I had a small Lopi installed last March. It replaced an older, radiant cast iron stove. The Lopi is more convective heat and I miss the radiant heat. So I might have said that I want a more radiant stove than a convective steel stove. I paid a lot for this new one and new chimney pipe so it's something I have to learn to live with. I have a small house but I can make it smaller by shutting off the bedroom and bathroom, mudroom etc. I can just sleep comfortably in the living room and be very warm but it's a compromise.

We've gotten off the consumer train and will be buying nothing this Black Friday.
Same here, unless you consider an innertube for a failed log splitter tire. Black Friday is always spent either splitting wood or putting up outside lights, depending on which side of 30F the mercury is on this day.

Last edited:
But don’t all the arrivals say to just call the local tree services and have them drop wood for free?
Mine local guys must know they can turn a buck ‘cause they have wood stacks lining the property boundaries.
I have a tree service that drops wood for free here. He calls once or twice per year, asking to drop a load, and he would probably call more if I didn't turn him away most of the time. Sometimes I allow it, to help him out, but he knows it'd better be pretty nice stuff to even call me.

Last edited:
Does the Dremel work good? I honestly never thought to use mine for this. Its basically for my wifes crafts. Any tips?
You have to buy the chainsaw sharpening round bits, found them at the big box store near the chainsaw blades. My luck has been very good, hold the dremal at 40 / 45 deg and you can do a 20" chain razor sharp in under 5 min,
Some chatter online about the heat from the friction tempering the blade, I call hog wash, picked up the dremal idea after watching In the wood yard on youtube, that guy Chris only uses dremals for sharpening and he cuts north of 150 full cords a year.

Reactions: BillBurns
Several mentioned log carriers. I bought the following three years ago. Very well made. Holds a lot. Use it to carry wood from the stacks in the yard to the hoop in the garage. Also to carry wood into the house.

Currently unavailable at HD's site. It was shipped to my local Home Depot from TriLink Saw Chain, LLC in Alabama. Don't see it on their site, too. Don't see a tag on the carrier either. Bummer.

I want an arborist to drop off logs at house
Check around with local tree removal companies and municipalities. You can get on a list and when in your area they will deliver! There are quite a few people on this site that get wood delivered.

You have to buy the chainsaw sharpening round bits, found them at the big box store near the chainsaw blades. My luck has been very good, hold the dremal at 40 / 45 deg and you can do a 20" chain razor sharp in under 5 min,
Some chatter online about the heat from the friction tempering the blade, I call hog wash, picked up the dremal idea after watching In the wood yard on youtube, that guy Chris only uses dremals for sharpening and he cuts north of 150 full cords a year.
Wouldn't a cordless drill work? Only issue I see is holding it at the correct angle. I have a cheap Dremel like rotary sharpener that clips to a 12v battery.

No black Friday shopping here either. But if I was to pick something it would be a more visual appealing stove.

Wouldn't a cordless drill work? Only issue I see is holding it at the correct angle. I have a cheap Dremel like rotary sharpener that clips to a 12v battery.
A drill is to cumbersome, plus the rpm maybe to low, the dremal is long and narrow, way easier to hold at the correct angle, also I use full chisel chains, the back of the chain has a line engraved in it for the right angle so its easy to line the round head to the cutting tooth, I zip right thru