Black gum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
i was just offered some black gum, a whole tree. Haven't seen it, and never worked with black gum. I have to let my buddy know soon. I don't see it listed on Sweeps, I am 3-4 years ahead and have several ash that will need to come down this fall/winter. Thanks in advance

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks for that CincyBurner. I have a 27 ton Troy Bilt, hope it has enough arse. I'm wondering if it splits better green or seasoned some? And any idea what it is comparable with as far as burning? As I said I don't see it on Sweeps

I see red gum, that's equal to American Elm

Really tough splitting wood - with a maul it was really difficult. Got the bigger pieces split but I just let 8" and below go in the stove whole. Good heat as I recall. With hydraulics and the wood being free I would not hesitate to take more.

Yep, it can be a bear to split. When we were cutting black gum for shoulder season wood we'd leave the rounds to set a month or so. Seems to split cleaner that way. The wood turns a light suntan color over time and in some cases would split so smooth it appeared to be planed.

Ain't bad for burning, needs a year on the stacks.

I split a lot of sweet gum last season. Gave the 22 ton splitter a run for its money. The 35 ton split it with ease. Nasty looking splits when splitting down through center tree. Taking splits from the sides worked much better.

If free it's hard to say no. I've only split a little of it ever can be a pain, but never had a lot to make a good assumption. I would take it and split it, what doesn't need split just give plenty of time to season. It all burns when dry!

Sweet gum is even worse than black gum for splitting. We cut sweet gum every year for a long time, it's plentiful here. Not no more. Just too much work for the medium heat it produces. Leaves a lot of ash, too.

If you got it, mize well burn it. But I sure as heck wouldn't pay for it. :)

About all sweet gum is good for is growing mushrooms.

Mushrooms? Have you grown mushrooms on sweet gum? I grow shiitake on maple,oak and hickory but have never tried sweet gum. Would sure beat using prime fire wood for mushroom logs if sweet gum produces well.

Mushrooms? Have you grown mushrooms on sweet gum? I grow shiitake on maple,oak and hickory but have never tried sweet gum. Would sure beat using prime fire wood for mushroom logs if sweet gum produces well.

Yeah, tell me more about growing mushrooms on sweet gum!

Status
Not open for further replies.