Black Locust - anyone else think it smells like Elmer's Glue when split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hamslam42

Oct 13, 2015
Columbus, OH
So I finally got to splitting some black locust after a tree came down in the woods behind my house, and to me it smells like Elmer's glue when I split it. Anybody else ever notice that?

I'd love me a BLT right now... Black locust tree of course

Reactions: ThunderMedic
Never noticed the Elmers Glue scent but I do like the scent of it....almost as good as honey locust.

I have a small stash of black locust and most of it is not able to be split as it was a small tree, The day I worked on that, I was splitting poplar & white oak, so I couldn't tell you how it smelled as it was overpowered by the other two.
Will have to pay attention next time I get a hold of some.
Funny story...one of the last fires we did wound up being some oak and black locust...kiddos grabbed that instead of the pine. After 6 hours of burning, seeing several red hot coal logs in the stove, and getting cooked, the wifey asked what kind of wood it was. I told her and she said we need to get more of that...but just for when it is really is cold out. There are days she likes my obsession...that was one of them (indirectly was that permission to scrounge more wood? lol).

every time i have split some black locust is smelt like puke awful. and under the bark it was slimey. three different trees. but i'll put up with that for the burning. burns just as hot as red oak and almost as long but only take half the time to dry than red oak

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
My experience with Black Locust is either the bark is loose and like fbelec said it is wet and slimy under the bark and if so the odor is rank, not very pleasant, but if the bark is tight and the wood is dry it isn't as smelly.