Burning Wild Bee Hive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBikePedaler

Apr 23, 2024
NS Canada
Hi,
I think I might have burned a section of wood that had contained a wild bee hive at some point. The first time I noticed it I could smell what reminded me of a bees wax candle after feeding my furnace and did not think much of it. I noticed the smell again after loading in a similar looking piece of wood. That was when the temp on my chimney went up really fast, ( my furnace is a 1965 Enterprise) and the single wall stainless pipe started to shimmer with heat waves. I went through the wood pile and thought I found it all but I guess there was another piece because I had a repeat of this "runaway" fire. The wood had a greyish/white colour in the center of a hollow 14" round and a bit of a waxy feel. I'll post pics if I find any more
Has anyone else herd of this before?
Thanks

Reactions: 30WCF
What type of wood?
I've seen similar color waxy stuff from pine saturated with sap. When it gets old,.it can get greyish white.

Reactions: 30WCF
Bees make propolis. It’s kind of creamy yellow, but can turn creamy grey. It won’t stay that color long as it darkens with dirt and exposure. It will be waxy and sticky. If they move into a hollow tree, they will cover the entire inside with it to seal out the moisture and drafts.
Fresh bees wax is creamy white/yellow, but as soon as the first round of brood is emerged, the wax starts getting darker. Each time they raise new brood, it darkens until it goes black.

Here is old comb, but look on the top of the rim of the box, and there is one top bar that has old propolis on it. It starts out much lighter.
IMG_4078.jpeg

Here is some fresh wax that they capped some honey with in an old dark comb.
IMG_4212.jpeg

Interesting, ours (propolis) has always been blood red (when fresh).

I’ll get some pics next time I’m in them. I think ours is more boogerie when fresh. I have some upper entrances that I’ll staple screen to when I don’t want them open. They cover the screen and seal it off. It’s usually tan or cream there.

Reactions: stoveliker
What type of wood?
I've seen similar color waxy stuff from pine saturated with sap. When it gets old,.it can get greyish white.
I believe it was Ash or Linden. It was cut and stored in 8' length and stored for 2 years then I processed it in to 20" lengths and split it for another year before burning it. I recall when I was processing it that there was a 3-4' section that was hollow but did not seem rotten or I would have left it for the outdoor fire. Most of my wood is Oak, Ash or Birch but there is sometimes Black Locust and Walnut. I never buy softwood, that comes from the yard and only use it in the furnace during the shoulder seasons to "take the chill off"

Reactions: stoveliker