Black Locust Scrounge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hello,
I got to cut and haul a load of Locust today. I will split later after I can get what's left from the free score. It was long dead and the bark just fell off. I love it when it is that clean.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4114.JPG
    IMG_4114.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_4115.JPG
    IMG_4115.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 316
Nice! I don't get the chance to get much locust here but when I do I am all over it!

Last edited:
Very nice! I may end up with the king of all locust scrounges in a few weeks. I'll be posting it if I do.

18 months split and stacked and it's burnable. 2 years and beyond and that stuff is some of the best you can get.

Don't get any splinters. They get infected pretty badly.

Very nice! I may end up with the king of all locust scrounges in a few weeks. I'll be posting it if I do.

18 months split and stacked and it's burnable. 2 years and beyond and that stuff is some of the best you can get.

Don't get any splinters. They get infected pretty badly.
I'm burning my two year Locust and have to say it is best wood I have had. I used to hunt for oak but the Locust is now my top tier. I cut another load today! Good luck with your scrounge. Post pics!

Reactions: TheBigIron
By the looks of your pics, there's no brush to contend with. That's the best part!

My favorite wood. The best heat and lasts forever nice grab!

You Lucky Dog !

"I love it when it is that clean." Yes - it doesn't get much better. Your scrounge looks sweet , flat ground and even looks like you could back the truck right up to it.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 60
I'll take BL over oak any day. Oak is nice but some red oak still isn't seasoned in 3 years to my liking. My premium is mixing locust and hard maple.

Here is the last of my Locust score. I took all the good and left the poplar, pine, and sycamore. Just don't have the space or need for softwoods right now. Can't wait to split and stack these beauty's.

Attachments

• IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 132
I'm jealous;)

Leave it by the trash can and I'll assume it's fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect! I had a few scores of free locust this year off Craigslist, mostly honey locust. I'm in upstate NY and I don't see many firewood dealers selling it but it's not that rare around here.

Very nice indeed...