Black Painted Stainless vs Regular Stainless pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertVL

Sep 3, 2008
Is there any advantage?
Or is just looks?

I read a post by Mountain????(sorry)that said he had a temp difference between the 2 (300vs180)
Which would tell me that it would be better to get the regular stainless because it would produce less creosote when going up the pipe

I am planning on running single stainless pipe
Double is sooooo expensive here $2800+

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Attachments

• wall_top_2.jpg
    wall_top_2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 188
I don't know that there will be much difference. If there is an apparent temp difference, it's most likely that an infra-red temp gun is reading a difference in emissivity between black and shiny pipe versus a true difference in temperature. Either way, the slight difference in the pipe won't make a substantial difference in flue gas temps. Double/single wall pipe - yes, color - no.

Status
Not open for further replies.