Black smoke out of my US Stove Corp pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
NW Connecticut
Hi - I could use some help. Bought a US Stove 5500M pellet stove a couple of months ago. Installed it ourselves and it worked fine. Then, the problems started...First we had white smoke and half burned pellets filling up the firebox. Now the flame is all over the place and way too high, it made a "boom" sound with black smoke coming out of the chimney. Even had the fire dept show up! I have cleaned the stove countless times and just tried it again but the same thing happened. I called US Stove and they said it was probably the pellets, and that I should try to change those. We didn't pipe outside air in but are wondering if we need to. Also noticed that it looks like the rope gasket around the window doesn't fully go around, there's like a 3" space with no rope there. Is that normal? I bought it at TSC so it's not like I have an on-hand service dept to help me out. Just the people over the phone at US Stove. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.