black walnut log lengths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I felled a black walnut. I have 12, 3 foot sections with a diameter of 16 to 18 inches. Not sure if I should use these as firewood or seek a wood worker. I imagine these lenghts would be ideal for gun stocks and furniture. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks.

I hear all sort and manner of rave reviews on black walnut here on this site, and I agree that it's nice for woodworking.

HOWEVER, I ain't never had a soul come knockin' on my door beggin' to buy any of my standing black walnut, and I got a couple.

I burn it.

I have 2 mill companies interested and are willing to come to my home. Anyone have an idea as to whate price I should ask? They are small sections. I have 12, 3 ft. sections with diameters of 16 to 18 inches.

RISurfer20 said:
I have 2 mill companies interested and are willing to come to my home. Anyone have an idea as to whate price I should ask? They are small sections. I have 12, 3 ft. sections with diameters of 16 to 18 inches.
3 ft sections are quite small to run in a mill cant beleave they would be worth very much if they were in 8 ft lengths it would be worth 3 times as much

This is speculation but I wouldn't really worry about the length. My take is the interest in such a small quantity must be related to the recent demand in gun sales and gun stocks don't require long pieces.

As for price since you have competition ask for bids. My guess it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 cents per board ft at the most unless you have veneer quality wood.

I guess now is the time to sell walnut. I better call all of my friends who in the past had trouble pawning off much larger quantities of it.

the market is down so bad nowadays ,that even alot of quality timber is only worth firewood prices

RISurfer20 said:
I felled a black walnut. I have 12, 3 foot sections with a diameter of 16 to 18 inches. Not sure if I should use these as firewood or seek a wood worker. I imagine these lenghts would be ideal for gun stocks and furniture. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks.

If you aren't going to burn it, I'd use it to make a black powder muzzle loading rifle and matching pistol. You can get kits online. I think it would be a neat little project to make a stock to a muzzle loader from a tree on my property. But, that is only if you are into that sort of thing.

it's probably not worth much, I just bought a truckload of 4/4 kiln dried rustic walnut for 96c a board foot

Two summers back I got 4 cords of shagbark hickory, most of it was in the 12-16"dia range, 8' lengths. Local mills were not interested, called a couple of the bigger guys them either. Made great firewood this last winter.

Search out a Woodturner in your area. 3' logs are of no interest to a sawmill where milled lumber starts at 8'. Too bad you didn't have 3 x 10' logs.

you need to have someone come and grade the logs. check out the phone book for you nearest forrester to do so. that would give you a good indication if they are worth anything or not.
Havign said that. you only talking three logs. I deal with mbf (thousand board feet)...You could figure out how many board feet you ahd in the log, but to give you an for-instance, a couple of years ago you would be paid $450-$780/mbf depending on what area you are in.

Most of the folks I had show interest in some long log lengths turned out to be interested if they were free.

do you ahve any local woodworking groups (organized)?? sometimes like around here the group will all pitch in together and split the logs up amongst themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.