Black windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ant3

Nov 30, 2018
PA
Good Morning, all I have an older pellet stove that I inherited when we moved into a new house It is an Austroflam. I have done numerous repairs on it ie, replace a few control boards, blower and all the gaskets, it runs well accept for the soot in the windows. I have tried everything, changed gaskets on windows and doors. I do run my pellet stove a little low but not sure it should turn black so quickly ( after 4 or 5 hours) any suggestions?

it is starving for air. Clean it well then with the door open hook the uction side of a electric leaf blower to the exhaust pipe outside and suck it out. Typically problem is in exhaust path

Reactions: Ssyko
it is starving for air. Clean it well then with the door open hook the uction side of a electric leaf blower to the exhaust pipe outside and suck it out. Typically problem is in exhaust path

Thanks I have tried that actually pulled apart complete exhaust system. The blower is working but was wondering if that could be the problem? Blower (which is original) could not be running at prescribed speed, but good enough for the stove to kind of work

Pull it out and inspect the fan petals, if it’s the original it may be shot or missing some.

I recommend purchasing the latest/last PROM they made,if yours is an Integra 1,as it seems to burn the cleanest.The back channel.and the ports behind the round air exchanger tubes, get dirty and plugged,and people forget about cleaning them.If you pull the motor,it should spin very free.The bearings are replaceable.Upon startup,you shold be able to hear the motor ramp up,after burning a few minutes,but you might have to take off the side panel,as these motors are very quiet.But,burning one of these way down low,door glass will get dirty fast.The last PROM they made has a cleaning cycle programmed in,ramps the stove up once an hour or so.