"Blanket" ZC listing on ALL Jotul stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
I was on the phone this morning with Jotul wood tech on another issue, and we got into the ZC issue with stoves. Come to find out that Jotul has a blanket listing for ANY of there appliances to be installed in a ZC. The problem he said, that hardly any were ever installed properly. He stated that to get a 8 inch flue up to UL1777 listing is almost impossible with the insulation. He also said that rarley are the ZC chimneys tall enough, and that the clearacne that has to be maintained results in a long horizontal run that rarley has enough slope. Intresting stuff, from a previous thread here, i was under the impression that no stove was listed for ZC, FWIW, the manual doesnt state that it is, its kind of a secert because of the miss use of the listing.

Intresting.

Many of the wood inserts out there have a blanket ZC listing. The problem that manufacturers are running into now (I get this from a factory rep of a major manufacturer) is that on new units they cannot get a blanket listing anymore because the listing agencies are requiring testing for each individual ZC by each manufacturer. I personally think that's a bit of overkill. Maybe a separate listing for radiant and convective ZC's would be a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.