Blaze King Ashford 20 vs 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA_Forester

Aug 29, 2016
Central Pennsylvania
Well, this topic has been discussed in the past and, seeing as how I've lived it first hand, I decided to start a new post with some photos, thoughts, etc. I'll link this post to other threads that have discussed the BK 20 vs. 30

In 2015, I purchased an Ashford 20.1 (Steel Cat, Fan Kit) and was very pleased with everything about the stove. Unfortunately, my setup (1,500 sq. ft. living space, stove in basement on one side of a raised ranch house, moderate but steadily upgraded insulation) was a bit much for the Ashford 20. Our coldest nights (-10 to -15F) during the last winter were a bit too cold in the opposite end of the house and I often had to run the stove on high (with high fans) to get decent heat for the entire house during the colder parts of the winter. The stove still put off some nice heat, I should mention!

With this, I decided to upgrade to an Ashford 30.1 (carbon black, also arrived with a steel cat, fan kit (thanks for the promotion, Chris!)). I got a great deal by purchasing the ashford and a princess (for a coworker), plus a good friend of mine purchased the original 20.1 for a fair price.
The new Ashford is currently in the basement amongst a cloud of blueish smoke as the paint cures. The steel cat lit off with incredible ease and was glowing immensely within seconds. The firebox size between the two seems much more than just 1 cubic foot, and it will hopefully be easier to load and light.

One interesting difference that I've always been curious about is the thin sheet metal plate (see last two photos) that was located under the cast top of my 20.1 (i.e. between the steel of the firebox and the cast top of the stove). This thin metal always bent when the stove was hot and got very close to the steel firebox. I always wondered if this reduced a bit of radiant heat off the top or made the fans less effective (because the thin metal bent towards the firebox, the fans were mostly blowing on top of the sheet metal, but not across the hottest part of the firebox). The 30.1 doesn't have this sheet metal at all. What are the group's thoughts? Chris, what is the function of this piece and why isn't it on the 30.1?

For comparison's sake, I added the same piece of serviceberry to each of the stoves. I'd note that the Ashford 30's firebox is not only wider and deeper, but much taller (which the photos don't exactly show).
Also, the 20.1 is painted metallic black, while the new 30.1 is painted carbon black. The carbon black looks blueish against the metallic black. When comparing the colors, you should consider that the 20.1 is a little dusty.
DSC_9189.JPG DSC_9191.JPG DSC_9196.JPG DSC_9195.JPG DSC_9197.JPG DSC_9199.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Oh, one last photo

This initial fire has a diverse mix:
white oak, red oak, service berry, bitternut hickory, black locust, and pitch pine. I figured I'd break it in the correct way

DSC_9206.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
I love how the cat takes off so quickly from cold iron. Often times in 15 minutes or so if the flue hits 400 and flames are licking up towards the cat. It never stalls.

PAforester I would like to know how is that stove working for you. I have a raised ranch 1600 total built in1994. I have an insert in my fireplace upstairs. My dream is to put 30 series BK in the rec room downstairs. I wonder how well it would heat the house.

I have the Ashford 30.1 and find it has significantly more convective heat than my previous stoves. As a result of the convective heat, as opposed to a stove that is mostly radiant, my adjacent rooms are a lot warmer than with previous stoves. The ashford 30.1 is the heaviest stove BK makes-heavier than the king-so heating is very very even. Any 30 series stove can easily heat your square footage but the real test of a stove is how long it can burn at medium fire or low (where your stove will spend %80 of its operating time) and this is where the BKs are the best. A small fire in a BK stove is 12 hours. Overnight firing is very easy to do. After the start up, the thermostat controls the burn rate not the type of wood or how the stove was loaded. Once the thermostat is set, you are done, no fiddling with dampers. The only firing control on a BK is the thermostat and it is automatic.

Yes, we found the same thing going from a cast iron stove to a cast iron clad stove. The clad stove heats much more evenly throughout the house and with less temp swing too.

I know I want a BK stove and after reading a lot posts from the owners of BK stoves I know what I can expect from them. My question was more specific towards the house it's self since op has pretty much the same house as I do in the same climate (almost) and the stove I would love to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.