Blaze King Ashford 30.1 Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Creosote remover is a waste of money and in no way replaces a chimney sweep.

Also I heard it's not good for the cat. Looks like the best creosote control is dry wood and learn to burn efficient knowing how your stove perform better.

Also I heard it's not good for the cat. Looks like the best creosote control is dry wood and learn to burn efficient knowing how your stove perform better.
I have dry wood, and follow the instructions in the manual, but burning on high doesn't remove it perfectly, I just thought it'd be nice to touch it up.

For cleaning the the stove glass this it the product for that.
It is what I use, works well.:cool:

glass cleaner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a couple ways to clean your window, or many methods actually, The big 3 are, and they all include this, spray window heavily with windex, let it soak and wipe away, next method is to spray it down then take damp newspaper and some cold ash and wipe it down in a circular fashion (thing of waxing a car), the ash acts like an abrasive but wont hurt the glass, 3rd is to spray it down and carefully use a razor blade to remove the creosote, the spray acts like a lubricant so you don't scratch the glass.

Reactions: kaycstamper
I use that Rutland cleaner on my Hampton HI200. It works very well. The trick is to apply with a damp Scott towel and follow up with a piece of newspaper for the final buffing.

Reactions: kaycstamper
Of course it’s safe for use on the glass. The only way that a product will harm the catalyst is if the vapors are being drawn through it. That’s not going to happen on a cold stove, particularly if the glass is the only thing being sprayed with it. Rutland woodstove glass cleaner in spray form works very well. My Ashford never needed a razor blade, but did require more aggressive cleaner, ashes and a damp towel ain’t gonna cut it on a BK!

Reactions: Ashful
I use that Rutland stuff on my bk glass. I smear it all over and use it as a lube for the razor blade and then use the paper towel Still covered in the blue Rutland goo to scrub off anything that the blade missed. Then buff clean per the Rutland directions. Works very well but only if you use a blade along with it.

On my noncat I just clean with any old glass cleaner.

Reactions: black smoke signals
I have a removable door on my insert I lay the door in my lap and spray away. The one thing that concerns me are the spray chemicals getting between the gasket and the door glass possibility causing a leak big deal IDK

I use that Rutland stuff on my bk glass. I smear it all over and use it as a lube for the razor blade and then use the paper towel Still covered in the blue Rutland goo to scrub off anything that the blade missed. Then buff clean per the Rutland directions. Works very well but only if you use a blade along with it.

On my noncat I just clean with any old glass cleaner.
My Ashford glass never got to the point of needing a razor to get it clean. They have much cleaner glass than the princess and king. Poor draft or under seasoned wood will cause it though.

Just of note: if you're gonna clean your glass, run a good hot burn with the tstat/ air control cranked all the way up for a few hours first. That'll get the lion's share off, and you're only left with the corners instead of having to scrape the whole thing.

As for a wet rag with ash on it: the abrasiveness of ash is only half of it. Ash is caustic, and mixing it with water creates potash, essentially a weak lye, but still is strong enough to make soap. Most glass cleaners are ammonia, which is also a base.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
Just of note: if you're gonna clean your glass, run a good hot burn with the tstat/ air control cranked all the way up for a few hours first. That'll get the lion's share off, and you're only left with the corners instead of having to scrape the whole thing.

As for a wet rag with ash on it: the abrasiveness of ash is only half of it. Ash is caustic, and mixing it with water creates potash, essentially a weak lye, but still is strong enough to make soap. Most glass cleaners are ammonia, which is also a base.
hmmm so I can make some famous BK oak ash soap? JK

Reactions: weatherguy
My Ashford glass never got to the point of needing a razor to get it clean. They have much cleaner glass than the princess and king. Poor draft or under seasoned wood will cause it though.

Hi Webby, are you living in a very dry region and how dry is the wood you are burning?

Hi Webby, are you living in a very dry region and how dry is the wood you are burning?
Not a particularly dry region. But I stayed several years ahead on my wood, stored in a shed.

Attachments

• 8771282B-A801-4C17-B09D-DBBCACA59B99.jpeg
    8771282B-A801-4C17-B09D-DBBCACA59B99.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 309
  • B60ABA99-F185-4D9C-AFEA-08375B70A153.jpeg
    B60ABA99-F185-4D9C-AFEA-08375B70A153.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: coutufr
In my climate I run my BK Princess a little hotter than most here and as a result I don't ever have any heavy build up....but the wife likes clean glass...so to appease her I grabbed a bottle of this cleaner from Rural King knowing nothing about it.To say that I am impressed with it would be huge understatement! I spray a small amount onto a paper towel and wipe clean and repeat if necessary...a repeat is usually not necessary...I then follow up with a windex wipe...the result is as if the glass isn't there! Very clean!

IMG_3173.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: