Blaze King Ashford 30 best stove I've ever owned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well good luck, I hope it does, and I'll update my thread if mine doesn't.
I will probably just swap to a different stove if it dies.

Well, I'm on my third winter burn right now so we'll see. I know Blaze King is very customer service oriented and I would hope they would honor their warranty as it is a big selling point for them.
It takes time fo the warranty/combuster exchange....if you burn 24/7 like I do I bought one to have on
hand so I am never with out..

Reactions: BURNard
Well, I've only had it three years and I love it. The cats are about $260, that's not a big expense to lay out every three to five years if I have to. In my opinion it's worth it for the performance output of the stove.
The bk was leant to me so I will buy a replacement cat and return it. I like some things about the stove but it just doesn't fit my needs that well. Not that it is a bad stove in any way just not for me. At this point I have 2 different stoves sitting in the shop that could take its place. So it isn't a big deal to swap it.

The bk was leant to me so I will buy a replacement cat and return it. I like some things about the stove but it just doesn't fit my needs that well. Not that it is a bad stove in any way just not for me. At this point I have 2 different stoves sitting in the shop that could take its place. So it isn't a big deal to swap it.

Interested to hear more about why you're not a big fan.

I love my Ashford 30; though I have only used it part of a season.

Have you used the ash pan? I found it was easy to periodically push some ashes into it. Only catch was when I took the pan out days later the ashes seemed to catch an updraft and it made quite a mess.

Interested to hear more about why you're not a big fan.
It doesn't put out enough BTUs to heat my house for 8 hours when it is much under 20 outside.

It doesn't put out enough BTUs to heat my house for 8 hours when it is much under 20 outside.

Ya, I hear ya. That's why I went with a cheap Drolet (chewy) for my cabin with 2x4 walls. Puts out crazy heat albeit for short periods with lots of wood.

Ya, I hear ya. That's why I went with a cheap Drolet (chewy) for my cabin with 2x4 walls. Puts out crazy heat albeit for short periods with lots of wood.
The regency I used before heated the house well for 8 hours

I will say that prior to purchasing my Ashford, the 36,000 BTU out put wasn't promising. But what makes up for it's low BTU output, is the long consistent burn times of steady heat. No spikes or drops. I went from a Vermont Casting Vigilant coal stove 55,000 BTU, ( I believe) to the Ashford and the only difference was the longer burn time with coal. I could never run the VC on high as it would sweat my out and the same can be said for my Ashford. The highest I usually run the Ashford is 2 to 2 1/2 throttle on very cold windy days. Max throttle is 3. Though house size and layout can change it's efficacy.

Is this a cat vs tube stove thing? I've always wondered what it would be like running a cat stove but I honestly love the pure heat my Osburn cranks out very quickly I when I stuff it.

Given our winters are usually in the 20-35 degree range on an average day I like the flexibility of a tube stove. I don't mind reloading every 6-8 hrs.

Is this a cat vs tube stove thing? I've always wondered what it would be like running a cat stove but I honestly love the pure heat my Osburn cranks out very quickly I when I stuff it.

Given our winters are usually in the 20-35 degree range on an average day I like the flexibility of a tube stove. I don't mind reloading every 6-8 hrs.
Yes, the BK Ashford is a catalytic stove, and I would say, if your stove works for your situation, that's great.

I understand the Ashford is a cat, sorry! I was specifically asking Bholler about his experience of his cat stove not pumping enough heat.

But yeah I agree cat/non-cat if you're happy who cares! Grass is always greener tho right? Always fun to wonder.

I have an Osburn 1600 and love it.

I understand the Ashford is a cat, sorry! I was specifically asking Bholler about his experience of his cat stove not pumping enough heat.

But yeah I agree cat/non-cat if you're happy who cares! Grass is always greener tho right? Always fun to wonder.

I have an Osburn 1600 and love it.
In my case with my btu load I simply am not seeing much of any benifit from a cat stove. That doesn't mean I don't think they have value just not for me.

If your running your stove at medium to high all the time then a cat stove is not going to help you. It may well hurt you. Cats shine at low/even output. Mine works great for that but others that need more heat would not. That said I only use 1-2 cords a year and I just replaced my cat after 6 years. Tho honestly I dont think the new one is much idfferent then the original. I will keep it to use as a back up.

I will definitely purchase a spare, just in case. I didn't consider the warranty process will take time. Thank you for the advise.
I also keep a spare door/glass gasket set on hand...I have propane as back up but rarely use it...it just does not compare to the steady even heat from Princess.

I have been thinking if a cat stove would work for my situation. What is everyone seeing for STT when running their cats stoves at around half throttle?

I have been thinking if a cat stove would work for my situation. What is everyone seeing for STT when running their cats stoves at around half throttle?
That depends where on the top you measure. Right over the cat it is really hot the rest of the top will be cooler.

I say go for it if you like the idea of 12-24 hour load cycle. If you can reload a tube stove when it’s needed and don’t mind burning the excess wood and cat replacement is an issue then I’d say maybe not. Even if it’s like bhollers case where it needs supplement heat at times it still pumps out a lot of heat at a 12-15 hour setting with a full load of good wood plus it should help extend your burning season.

Reactions: Gearhead660
That depends where on the top you measure. Right over the cat it is really hot the rest of the top will be cooler.
Thats what I was wondering. Figured it had to get hot with the cat running around 1000 degrees.

It’s more about the control. It can get hot or just simmer. I definitely wouldn’t recommend if you enjoy watching the fire unless you want to burn it like a regular stove. It will go completely black and even the cat won’t glow sometimes

Reactions: logfarmer
I say go for it if you like the idea of 12-24 hour load cycle. If you can reload a tube stove when it’s needed and don’t mind burning the excess wood and cat replacement is an issue then I’d say maybe not. Even if it’s like bhollers case where it needs supplement heat at times it still pumps out a lot of heat at a 12-15 hour setting with a full load of good wood plus it should help extend your burning season.
You only save wood if your btu load allows for it. I am saving no wood at all. But I am burning more oil. I don't get the extending burn season part. I burn when I need heat regardless of what stove I have