Blaze King Ashford 30 best stove I've ever owned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I gave my wife a what if scenario in case of catastrophic failure and she even wanted to know how to reload but the timing was bad as there was a good bed of coals that burned my face as I was reloading when I showed her, so that ended that. Same here, she could if really needed to but she prefers turning up the thermostat. I do have her convinced ( thankfully) a 1/4 of an inch is max to adjust. Something I’ve noticed about my house since installing the stove is how well it stores the heat. Highbeam had mentioned it but I didn’t really notice it till lately. It’s almost like it took a while for the bones and the concrete floors to build up but it is definitely a thing

Reactions: Highbeam
Then again both my kids know how to drive already. The 11 yr old girl can drive stick already and has done a burnout in the parking lot and donuts in the mud. Today I wish I had taught her to run the plow truck. Lol

Ahh a fellow man of culture! They'll have to take my manual transmission out of my cold dead hands. They are becoming brutally difficult to find though. Its sad.

Reactions: charger4406
Ahh a fellow man of culture! They'll have to take my manual transmission out of my cold dead hands. They are becoming brutally difficult to find though. Its sad.
I actually just finished putting a 5 speed in my bronco

Reactions: Sailrmike
Most people get 3 years. I am on my 3rd year and don't think the cat will make it through
Actually most people get 6-10 years. (We know this because it's OUR database).

Sites like this one have very dedicated hardcore wood burners and they contribute in immense ways!! However, most people do not replace their car tires because they are not getting as much traction as they did when only a few years old. That's the benefit of this site...people are very "tuned-in" to their products. They notice even the slightest margin of change.

Reactions: lsucet and BURNard
My daily driver is a 2000 F350 7.3L 6 speed manual! In 4 x 4 low, I can redline at 8 mph!

my thoughts exactly
I know there are guys here running at ~medium throttle who have said they have visible fires after 3-4hrs so that's where my confusion stems from

EVERY SINGLE INSTALL IS UNIQUE! Fuel species, shape, size loading pattern, air gaps, moisture, chimney, draft , home etc...I can give you first hand account that a King can run you out of the house! But, I prefer to more like Poindexter and run low and slow. Turn it up some to see flames or shift to crock pot mode.

Reactions: BURNard
I plan on having both my kids know how to and help run the stove when they are old enough. They are 5 and 3 right now so it's a little too soon to actually do it but my 5 year old watches me like a hawk and asks good questions. He'll be a pro when he's ready.

The wife on the other hand is...interesting. She's so much smarter than me professionally (we have the same degrees) but she just doesn't want to get into the stove. She could learn how to use it in a week of practice if she wanted. Lots of "do what with the air" or "oh I just threw a couple logs in" or "it was burning just 15 min ago" when I look and it's smoldering etc. Classic eh I'm not into it stuff. I'm fine being the one to run it the majority of the time...I enjoy it...however I'm trying to get her to at least get into the basics so I don't have to elaborate what to do in every situation. That is a little exhausting. She really enjoys the heat I just wish we could get past this learning "block"! Grumble.
Sounds a lot like my wife. Expects to just throw the wood in and it magically runs itself. Tried to explain how multiple times....

Actually most people get 6-10 years. (We know this because it's OUR database).

Sites like this one have very dedicated hardcore wood burners and they contribute in immense ways!! However, most people do not replace their car tires because they are not getting as much traction as they did when only a few years old. That's the benefit of this site...people are very "tuned-in" to their products. They notice even the slightest margin of change.

I do agree that most people get more than 3 years and fully believe your 6-10 year figure but I believe the reason is that most people don't accumulate the same number of hours in 3 years as those of us that burn full time for heat. The whole "years" quantifier is inappropriate. It's like buying a truck with 5 years on it. It's not the years, it's the miles.

Reactions: bholler
Turn it up some to see flames or shift to crock pot mode.

I love that term, going to use that!

BTW, also a daily driver of a 2000 diesel F350 but couldn't find a 6 speed! Still enjoy it after tuning the automatic.

I do agree that most people get more than 3 years and fully believe your 6-10 year figure but I believe the reason is that most people don't accumulate the same number of hours in 3 years as those of us that burn full time for heat. The whole "years" quantifier is inappropriate. It's like buying a truck with 5 years on it. It's not the years, it's the miles.
OK...seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Highbeam
I must say that I'm happy to hear that your data/records conclude that BK owners are getting 6/10 years/seasons out of their combustors. I feel I can put that issue to bed. Thank you.

Just keep an eye on your chimney. When it starts smoking, investigate why. Don’t wait until 3 years to start looking.

Cats do not die of old age.

Last edited:
I must say that I'm happy to hear that your data/records conclude that BK owners are getting 6/10 years/seasons out of their combustors. I feel I can put that issue to bed. Thank you.
You have to realize he is looking at data of all bk buyers. Many with shorter heating seasons than you. Many that are not full time burners. Many that don't care if performance has dropped considerably. To use his tire analogy are you going to be one of the people who run their tires untill the mechanic won't pass your car for inspection or are you one who pays attention to the performance and replaced them when the performance dropps off considerably?

And to be fair probably 10 to 15% of the cat stoves we work on have no cat in at all anymore because it went bad and the customer didn't bother or couldn't afford to replace it.

You have to realize he is looking at data of all bk buyers. Many with shorter heating seasons than you. Many that are not full time burners. Many that don't care if performance has dropped considerably. To use his tire analogy are you going to be one of the people who run their tires untill the mechanic won't pass your car for inspection or are you one who pays attention to the performance and replaced them when the performance dropps off considerably?

And to be fair probably 10 to 15% of the cat stoves we work on have no cat in at all anymore because it went bad and the customer didn't bother or couldn't afford to replace it.

Respectfully @bholler, we have met a few times and I know you are passionate about what you do and where you do it. You are a very talented, hard working dude. Your participating in forums is invaluable. However, your post is a bit too broad. Keep in mind we sell, service and support our products across the globe, not just PA.

So let me ask, how "many" is many? I respect immensely that some "cat stoves" are operated without a cat. How old are these stoves? Are they problematic designs? Are some of them from the 10-15 year era of poor designs?

Where is your emissions data showing loss in performance by combustors over a 10 year period of burning 3+ cords of wood from actual consumer homes? We have data from dozens of stoves, not just our models.

May I ask, on secondary stoves with tubes or baffles, what percentage do you remove during a cleaning and inspect for cracks or warpage? Are there some that sustain such damage, if so what percent? Do you have data showing what those damages can mean to the emissions profiles?

Do some owners of our stoves wait too long to replace the combustor? Yes! We and our dealers, sweeps and sites like this contribute to that education. See @Highbeams post that tells folks to go look for smoke?

We are advocates for clean burning and building stoves capable of doing so. So are all the other stove manufacturers. All technologies. We always admonish people to "Go out, look up". If there is smoke, fix the problem, no matter what your stove design.

Thank you for your contributions, experience and knowledge sharing.

Respectfully @bholler, we have met a few times and I know you are passionate about what you do and where you do it. You are a very talented, hard working dude. Your participating in forums is invaluable. However, your post is a bit too broad. Keep in mind we sell, service and support our products across the globe, not just PA.

So let me ask, how "many" is many? I respect immensely that some "cat stoves" are operated without a cat. How old are these stoves? Are they problematic designs? Are some of them from the 10-15 year era of poor designs?

Where is your emissions data showing loss in performance by combustors over a 10 year period of burning 3+ cords of wood from actual consumer homes? We have data from dozens of stoves, not just our models.

May I ask, on secondary stoves with tubes or baffles, what percentage do you remove during a cleaning and inspect for cracks or warpage? Are there some that sustain such damage, if so what percent? Do you have data showing what those damages can mean to the emissions profiles?

Do some owners of our stoves wait too long to replace the combustor? Yes! We and our dealers, sweeps and sites like this contribute to that education. See @Highbeams post that tells folks to go look for smoke?

We are advocates for clean burning and building stoves capable of doing so. So are all the other stove manufacturers. All technologies. We always admonish people to "Go out, look up". If there is smoke, fix the problem, no matter what your stove design.

Thank you for your contributions, experience and knowledge sharing.
I know you sell stoves all over the globe and I don't pretend to know more on the subject than you. But I am going by what I hear here and what I see in the field which the op is in pa not somewhere across the globe. Yes most of the cat stoves missing cats are not BK's. Most are vermont castings. But out of the now 6 BK's we work on one has no cat. Not that it means a thing with that small of a sample though.

As far as tube stoves yes we see some cracked or warped baffles. Probably close to the same percentage as destroyed or missing cats. The tubes we just don't see them damaged often. Usually about one set a year and only in severely abused stoves

I know you sell stoves all over the globe and I don't pretend to know more on the subject than you. But I am going by what I hear here and what I see in the field which the op is in pa not somewhere across the globe. Yes most of the cat stoves missing cats are not BK's. Most are vermont castings. But out of the now 6 BK's we work on one has no cat. Not that it means a thing with that small of a sample though.

As far as tube stoves yes we see some cracked or warped baffles. Probably close to the same percentage as destroyed or missing cats. The tubes we just don't see them damaged often. Usually about one set a year and only in severely abused stoves
Dude, you are very honest and trustworthy and I got that from the first time we met. Thank you for being here.

Definitely! It might all seem like fussing but there’s still a lot learned. I would have never have thought about just looking for smoke! Thanks highbeam!

With all do respect to you Mr. bholler, I am a retired mechanic for the US Postal Service with 33 years experience in the field. I'm the guy who knows about, and adheres to operating and maintenance procedures, as specified by the manufacturer. I do it because I put my trust in the research and development of the company and product and because experience tells me it works. I can't speak for your customers Sir, but as for myself, I only use very seasoned wood, as specified by the manufacturer, the stove was installed to the manufactures specs, after a 24 hour burn I run the stove on full throttle with hot embers for 30min. to clean/season the combustor for the days burning, as specified by the manufacturer. That being said, I believe following BK instructions in regards to operation and maintenance will give me the best chance to achieve the 6 to 10 years of combustor life that BKVP is siting, and if it fails I have the warranty. Thank you.

Last edited:
With all do respect to you Mr. bholler, I am a retired mechanic for the US Postal Service with 33 years experience in the field. I'm the guy who knows about, and adheres to operating and maintenance procedures, as specified by the manufacturer. I do it because I put my trust in the research and development of the company and product and because experience tells me it works. I can't speak for your customers Sir, but as for myself, I only use very seasoned wood, as specified by the manufacturer, the stove was installed to the manufactures specs, after a 24 hour burn I run the stove on full throttle with hot embers for 30min. to clean/season the combustor for the days burning, as specified by the manufacturer. That being said, I believe following BK instructions in regards to operation and maintenance will give me the best chance to achieve the 6 to 10 years of combustor life that BKVP is siting, and it fails I have the warranty. Thank you.
Yes without a doubt that will give you the longest possible cat life. But you also have to look at what he said they are taking data from stoves sold all over the globe to get that average. Many of those people are weekend burners or in areas with short heating seasons. I can already see a significant performance drop in my cat in its third season. And that is what we typically hear here from full-time burners. I am by no means saying his data is wrong but you have to look at it in perspective. And yes my stove only gets properly seasoned wood and is installed and run per manufacturers instructions down to making sure my draft is within spec.

Yes without a doubt that will give you the longest possible cat life. But you also have to look at what he said they are taking data from stoves sold all over the globe to get that average. Many of those people are weekend burners or in areas with short heating seasons. I can already see a significant performance drop in my cat in its third season. And that is what we typically hear here from full-time burners. I am by no means saying his data is wrong but you have to look at it in perspective. And yes my stove only gets properly seasoned wood and is installed and run per manufacturers instructions down to making sure my draft is within spec.
Is your stove a BK and what year and model is it?

Is your stove a BK and what year and model is it?
bHoller is a highly regarded sweep. His stove is a Princess that was leant to him by a friend. He was accepting of the opportunity so that he could have amore informed opinion. His experiences are his and genuine to his application. I'm not certain how aged the combustor was at the time he accepted the invite.....or it's condition.

Reactions: BURNard