Blaze King Ashford log direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BURNard

Oct 20, 2018
North East Pennsylvania
Ok the question is.... In which direction should the splits be placed in to the fire box, left to right or straight in? The manual says left to right. But I've see and heard otherwise, or does it even matter. Thank you

Ok the question is.... In which direction should the splits be placed in to the fire box, left to right or straight in? The manual says left to right. But I've see and heard otherwise, or does it even matter. Thank you
It doesnt matter other than you can pack it tighter loading straight in. Which means more btus in the firebox. That translates into more heat or longer burns.

Reactions: BURNard
The straight in method seems to burn better, and fuel consumption seems to be more complete... For me anyway,,

Straight in is referred to as North South (N/S). I promotes better air flow through the load. It also reduces the need to have your hand & arm into the firebox as the first logs begin to catch fire. It also is less likely a log could roll forward and strike the door glass. The only draw back to N/S loading is to make certain the door glass never makes contact with the fuel as the door is latched. The glass will break from the pressure of force.

Incidentally, loading the fuel left to right is referred to as East West (E/W).

Enjoy your Ashford!

Straight in is referred to as North South (N/S). I promotes better air flow through the load. It also reduces the need to have your hand & arm into the firebox as the first logs begin to catch fire. It also is less likely a log could roll forward and strike the door glass. The only draw back to N/S loading is to make certain the door glass never makes contact with the fuel as the door is latched. The glass will break from the pressure of force.

Incidentally, loading the fuel left to right is referred to as East West (E/W).

Enjoy your Ashford!
Ok sounds great Thank you for the input.