Blaze King Boxer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
It seems there are not a lot of Blaze King Boxer posts. Figured I would share a photo of our new stove.

I built the hearth myself and had a local company install the stove and they did a great job.

So far the stove seems to be doing great. It’s been below zero and it’s keeping the 1800+ square feet relatively warm.

Please ignore the work being done around the stove. We are in the middle of a complete remodel so things are not finished in the living room.

3E4014C9-DFDB-41C3-8481-B6D6E73C29D2.jpeg

Nice!
Is that (real) reclaimed wood?

Nice!
Is that (real) reclaimed wood

Yes it is. We are completely remodeling the entire house and we have several walls that are going to be covered in this wood. Should be pretty cool when it’s all done!

I agree; please do put more pics when you have more to show.

Heard of a blaze king, not a blaze king boxer. I thought maybe you cremated the dog.
I have had several BK stoves in different r houses and have never heard of one either. I went in to order a BK and they had 2 of these in stock.

It seems to put most of its heat out of the glass while still letting some thru the metal surround on the stove.

The box I believe is 2.3cf so a little smaller then say the Princess.

But it seems to be doing a good job hearing our house and the burn time is great. We are getting good heat and only having to fill up in the morning and then before bed. So a solid 12 hours with good heat the whole time. I’m confident I could 18-20 hours if it was turned way down.

Awesome setup, great work. Look forward to hearing more about the stoves performance .

Reactions: Doc C
If I remember correctly the Boxer 24 freestander uses the same firebox and is passed on the same EPA certification as the 25 series fireplace inserts.

We were keeping it quiet! Just kidding of course since we ran a Boxer 24 banner ad on this site for over a year! And no one heard of it? Hmmmmm.

• Haha
Reactions: charger4406
@BKVP I think you guys could of done better with the name and the description of this stove.

“Boxer” does not have the same feel as the rest of your stoves and doesn’t have a good feeling either.

It sounds like someone could not come up with a good name and figured they would just call by it’s shape. Lol

The description from what I remember talks about being a modern stove. Sure it’s not quite the look of the “traditional” stoves but it does fit in a rustic style home.

My house is going to be incredibly rustic when we are done with the remodel and it feels great in this house.

I would think with the specs of this stove and the wood storage it would be a great selling stove but the reason I was able to buy this stove in stock was because they were selling the floor model because they no longer were going advertise those stove since they have not been able to sell any.

@BKVP I think you guys could of done better with the name and the description of this stove.

“Boxer” does not have the same feel as the rest of your stoves and doesn’t have a good feeling either.

It sounds like someone could not come up with a good name and figured they would just call by it’s shape. Lol

The description from what I remember talks about being a modern stove. Sure it’s not quite the look of the “traditional” stoves but it does fit in a rustic style home.

My house is going to be incredibly rustic when we are done with the remodel and it feels great in this house.

I would think with the specs of this stove and the wood storage it would be a great selling stove but the reason I was able to buy this stove in stock was because they were selling the floor model because they no longer were going advertise those stove since they have not been able to sell any.
Thank you.

Thank you.
@BKVP But please know this is an absolutely amazing stove! I have always had Blaze King stoves and this one holds its own with the rest of them.

The burn time I find much better then you guys state even in incredibly cold temps.

Also the amount of heat that comes out of the stove is unreal if you get it going or you can turn it way down and get a nice mellow heat.

Maybe rename it Santa Ana, or Trapper or something that sounds more bad ass!

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Same tech, same performance, different preference of the SO satisfied. All good.

(And I agree; I have th Chinook, which is also a box - but my taste wouldn't be satisfied with an Ashford...)

Many people say BKs at ugly (pointing to the princess, King, Chinook). But that's my style...

The name though - you are right. Boxer vs Chinook. When I have a drink next to a Chinook, I prefer a Chinook over a boxer..

Same tech, same performance, different preference of the SO satisfied. All good.

(And I agree; I have th Chinook, which is also a box - but my taste wouldn't be satisfied with an Ashford...)

Many people say BKs at ugly (pointing to the princess, King, Chinook). But that's my style...

The name though - you are right. Boxer vs Chinook. When I have a drink next to a Chinook, I prefer a Chinook over a boxer..
I think the Chinook is their best looking stove lol. The only ones I don't like the looks of are the princess and king

Reactions: stoveliker
I'm glad you posted this. I'm thinking about buying one too. It seems to be the perfect size. The 20's only take a 16" log, and the 30's seem to be extremely deep. This one is about the same size as my Vermont Castings Encore, which I will be replacing. I'm glad to hear you are happy with it. I've been searching for reviews but couldn't find any until I saw yours. My house is also rustic and I was worried about the modern style, but I think it can fit with any style house. The thing I like the most is how far it sits off the ground with the pedestal base. Do you mind that it doesn't have an ash tray? Can you come up with a few pros and cons? Much appreciated.

As i noted above, I don't have a boxer but a Chinook. I do have an ash tray. And I have never used it. It's a hassle (getting the ashes away from the opening so you can take the lid off, raking it in, cleaning the opening sufficiently so the lid can go back on without air leaks.

A small shovel (and a cat poo scooper to separate coals from ashes) and a "hoe" to move things around is all you need.

Reactions: rsfoon
I'm glad you posted this. I'm thinking about buying one too. It seems to be the perfect size. The 20's only take a 16" log, and the 30's seem to be extremely deep. This one is about the same size as my Vermont Castings Encore, which I will be replacing. I'm glad to hear you are happy with it. I've been searching for reviews but couldn't find any until I saw yours. My house is also rustic and I was worried about the modern style, but I think it can fit with any style house. The thing I like the most is how far it sits off the ground with the pedestal base. Do you mind that it doesn't have an ash tray? Can you come up with a few pros and cons? Much appreciated.
I assumed the Boxer had an ash tray? what is that little door and handle beneath the loading door?

Great looking stove and hearth!

Actually, we sell tons of them. I'm currently in WISCONSIN and they are on display in every dealer...and sell through is great. As I have written before, this site and owners are not fully representative of the wider world of wood burners...

I think the Boxer 24 is likely a sleeper, a really good stove often overlooked.

One, price. I haven't priced one lately, but compared to the lineup when I was drooling on serial number 2 this is alien BK technology for less than half the price of my A30.

Two Huge window. At night with the flames going you won't see the box, but you will have a good view of the flame show.

Three 6" collar.

Four probably does a little bit better than the 25 inserts delivering BTUs to the envelope since it is a free stander.

I think this stove would work very well, around here, in a new build cabin around 500-600 sqft with good air seal and good insulation. You could _probably_ get home around 1700, reload on hot coals, run a full load on high while you are home, reload around 2000-2100, run black box mode overnight, reload on hot coals in the morning...

Later if you add on a master suite or etc, the 6" chimney is ready to accept a bigger stove.

The downsides I see are the smallish firebox and the trapezoidal floor. Certainly you could heat the White House with a candle if it had good enough insulation.

Balancing the sqft, insulation envelope and air seals to local climate and coming up with BTU per hour is a problem of it's own. It seems to me most of the folks here running the 25 inserts are in 1200-2500 sqft, the B24 is not the right freestander for that big a house.

I suspect there is a bit of learning curve to playing tetris on that trapezoid shaped floor, but it could be done.

Putting in an ash dump would materially alter the firebox, then the B24 could no longer ride on the 25 series' EPA cert.

Vermont Bun Baker vibes. Of course Blaze King adds the heat.