Blaze King Chinook as great as Princess and King ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chris, you'll notice in the quote you posted that I specified only the ashfords had the smoke smell issue. I didn't even realize that you had at least one problem with the scirroco too which tells me that this should be a concern with any 30 box but especially the ashford. This was a real problem that affected real people.

Funny how in the same post I will upset BKVP for being negative about his stove but probably have bholler reading and thinking I'm just a fanboy spewing biased unicorn farts about the BK greatness. As I said, I'm a proud BK owner but I try to be balanced for the benefit of the user.
No you have always been pretty fair in my opinion about bks. Yes you like yours but you don't act like they are perfect for every instance. Or act like they don't have any faults. Yes there have been times I thought you were acting a bit like a fan boy but not very often.

Is this really what you took away.. "this should be a concern with any 30 box"? Highbeam, 1 in 7,000+ units?

Almost. What concerns me is that there have been 24 units of one model stove that were so stinky that BK got involved and willing to admit it! There have been forum members that I have tried to help solve this problem too, only to witness that it can't be solved. I have no knowledge of how many BKs are sold or how many stinky units are actually out there.

The question you should be asking is what does this "concern" look like? To me, on a 30 box and especially an ashford, I would not risk using a chimney system that did not meet or exceed the recommendations in the owner's manual. I would then want to be sure that I got the new and improved model where you tried to fix it. Finally, if the potential owner was extremely adverse to any smells then I would hesitate to recommend a model with a known history of leaking smells until a new history has been established without this problem.

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of concern to you Chris?

Last edited:
No, you misunderstood. What concerns me is that there have been 24 units of one model stove that were so stinky that BK got involved. I have no knowledge of how many BKs are sold or how many stinky units are actually out there.

The question you should be asking is what does this "concern" look like? To me, on a 30 box and especially an ashford, I would not risk using a chimney system that did not meet or exceed the recommendations in the owner's manual. I would then want to be sure that I got the new and improved model where you tried to fix it. Finally, if the potential owner was extremely adverse to any smells then I would hesitate to recommend a model with a known history of leaking smells until a new history has been established without this problem.

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of concern to you Chris?

Highbeam, we made no changes! We just supplied a larger gasket to those that had concerns. In a few cases, liners were added to masonry chimneys. And I read it the way it was written.

Highbeam, we made no changes! We just supplied a larger gasket to those that had concerns. In a few cases, liners were added to masonry chimneys. And I read it the way it was written.

So then yes, I still have concerns about this issue. As should anyone else considering such a significant purchase. Doesn't mean they shouldn't buy one but concern is warranted as I describe above which I again ask, is that not a reasonable amount of concern? I feel as though you didn't read what "concern" means to me in this situation.

I'm done...

Reactions: Twigster
I just bought a new pair of gloves to work on my wood pile..... ohhhh… this is not the New Glove Thread ?
derail.jpg

Okay, well, I was hoping for some ownership of the problem and guidance for the masses. Until then, it seems pretty safe to recommend that any buyers be for dang darn sure that any install of a 30 box and especially the ashford meets the requirements AND recommendations in the owner's manual. If you can do that you'll love how a BK runs.

I just bought a new pair of gloves to work on my wood pile..... ohhhh… this is not the New Glove Thread ?
View attachment 256799

It's directly relevant because the OP is asking whether to choose a princess or a 30 box. So the forum braintrust tries to come up with a Pros and Cons list and without fail, somebody gets upset when you list a con about the stove that they own. It still belongs in the con column.

Which of these stoves do you prefer and why?

It's directly relevant because the OP is asking whether to choose a princess or a 30 box.
Which of these stoves do you prefer and why?
I hesitate to , but will. With absolutely due respect: if anything, with the numbers given above, this discussion would give me reason to have no concern buying either.

1 out of 7000 siroccos.
Even if it’s all 24 issues out of 7000 that’s 0.34%

If I liked the looks of a 30 box I’d take those odds. Especially if I figured I had good draw since poor draft is a suspected culprit.

There’s a chance of a problem with any stove install, mostly due to chimney I’d wager.

I'm surprised how little the Sirrocco is mentioned on this board, with the cast leg kit and door it is a decent looking stove IMO. I was sold on it, but wife saw the Ashford in brown and that was it.

There are a handful of Sirocco users here. I am one that is very satisfied. Great stove for me.

Funny how in the same post I will upset BKVP for being negative about his stove but probably have bholler reading and thinking I'm just a fanboy spewing biased unicorn farts about the BK greatness. As I said, I'm a proud BK owner but I try to be balanced for the benefit of the user.
That's what this site is about; Spreading knowledge on all aspects of wood heating, and wood stoves. I've always admired your efforts to get all the info that you find out there, whether it adds to or detracts from the reputation of the stove you own. I hope to do as well as you have. A vice president pointing out the weaknesses of his company's products wouldn't be doing his job..it's up to us to do ours. ==c Sure, it's human nature to focus on the strengths of the stoves we bought, so we can all think we made the right choice, but we have to be careful that we don't brainwash ourselves too much.. ;lol

Chris, you'll notice in the quote you posted that I specified only the ashfords had the smoke smell issue. I didn't even realize that you had at least one problem with the scirroco too which tells me that this should be a concern with any 30 box but especially the ashford. This was a real problem that affected real people.

it was my sirocco, and it still stinks. i gave up long ago - no support from the original installer, and i've done what i can - and i'm certainly done pouring money into the thing. the qualities i like about the stove out-weigh my frustration with this one issue. c'est la vie.

one thing i can offer as a suggestion to the OP after my whole experience is to buy the stove from the same person who is installing it, so that when you do need support, they are more inclined to help you. Not doing this was one of the biggest things i regret in hindsight. i think that the 30 boxes look really sharp - chinook and sirocco!