Blaze king hearth build question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
My installer quoted me for a hearth pad that extends out 69 inches from the back wall on a corner install. I decided to build my own hearth since the last was about 1,000 dollars.

The KE40 manual, if I’m reading it right, shows a measurement from the corner to the edge of the hearth pad as 60 3/8...

This would save me a ton of room if it’s true. Picture attached, am I reading this right?

Circled in the second picture is what my installer circled for me.
C81100F2-A447-4D07-866B-A31BDA9A41D9.png2D7DA6A1-BEED-4DCA-A6E7-267D09DEB765.jpeg

image.jpg
Well, thinking I’m going with the installer recommended size. Even though the manual says the distance from the back corner to the front of the hearth can be smaller than 69 inches.

the tape you see and the box represent the stove. I cut some cardboard to the stove size and then placed it with proper clearances to the back wall and corners, using 69 inches from the back corner to the front of the hearth gives me 16 inches on the nose from the door to the front edge of the hearth pad.

i think I answered my own question, but if anyone sees anything funky, chime in!

It's almost always preferable to have more space than the minimum. I have a small home and I am glad I went bigger than required on my raised hearth.

I have burn marks in my carpet ( I burn a lot of popping softwoods) that are up to 22" out from the stove door opening.

Also, the hearth gets nice and toasty warm when the sotve is running.

My next hearth will extend at least 24" from the mouth of the stove door, and maybe even more; it is a great place to stand to warm my feet when I come in from the cold.

Our corner hearth is also oversized, no regrets. And still, a nasty ember shot sideways with the door ajar during startup and left a burn mark on the hardwood floor. :mad:

Our corner hearth is also oversized,

Similar to the OP I hung a plumb bob from the exisiting chimeny pipe to locate a cardboard cutout of the wood stove on the floor...

I don't remember exactly how I ended up with 18" of hearth in front of the door mouth, but it made something about the total project easier.

Especially with the big king but even with my princess, these things are best loaded from almost empty to totally full for a nice long burn cycle. I fill up a wood sling outside and set that sling down on the hearth in front of the stove to load. The splits are 16" long and I want the working area of the hearth in front of the door big enough to set the wood down as I load.

The king can really be shoved into a corner pretty tight. There are a few models out there that can be close to the wall.