Blaze king is not enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
I have managed to heat my old 1500 sq ft house + 1000sq ft garage so far this year with just a blaze king classic. It is -44 right now and I just heard the boiler fire. Bummer. I think I will be O.K. but I was so proud telling people I was burning no fuel in North Pole alaska. O-well. Mabey I will put another stove in the gagage.

Considering your -44F handicap and pine,poplar fuel supply. The forum members should let us BK owners off on this one. :)
EDIT: Possibly not the Summit owners though.

north of 60 said:
Considering your -44F handicap and pine,poplar fuel supply. The forum members should let us BK owners off on this one. :)

Nor the owners of the Big Black Kodiak Bear. :-/

north of 60 said:

Actually I burn mostly birch. It is a pretty good wood.

Ok, you're heating 2500 square feet in minus 44 degree weather.

I'm dying to know how your house is insulated. Seriously, I'm planning on doing some updates to mine, and frankly I don't think my Summit and my furnace running at the same time could keep this place warm in -44 degree weather.

wolfkiller said:
north of 60 said:

Actually I burn mostly birch. It is a pretty good wood.

Ive gotta do a 10hr round trip for the birch. If im out that far Ill allways take my 18ft tandem trailer with me and haul a load back. Very rare though. It sure will put the pine to shame for burn times.

Just curious, why do you call yourself Wolfkiller?

woodjack said:

Because he/she lives in the great frozen north and they do have wolfs.
Also said wolfs can become a problem and need thinned out. (just my thoughts I could be wrong tho)

crazy_dan said:
woodjack said:

Also said wolfs can become a problem and need thinned out. (just my thoughts I could be wrong tho)

Maybe people are the problem.

"...need to be thinned out". According to who?

I know this is a live and let live community on this forum, and I'm a live and let live person - but killing wolves pisses me off.

wolfkiller said:
-44 right now and I just heard the boiler fire.... North Pole alaska. O-well.

K...so two things jump out at me as to what may be the problem :)

Hats off to all you posters that live/wood heat where it's THAT cold. Hearty folks you are.

P.S. There is a thingy called the equator...it's about half way between where you are at and the opposite pole...I hear it's a bit warmer the closer you get to it.

crazy_dan said:
woodjack said:

Because he/she lives in the great frozen north and they do have wolfs.

Hell, we got em' here in the U.P. of Michigan (I believe they are due to a pourous Wisconson border >:-( ). I guess they raise hell with the local critters and from what I hear, you don't wanna be the last dog in a pack of Bear dogs either. Neat critter to watch though...friggin' killing machine.

woodjack said:
crazy_dan said:
woodjack said:

Maybe people are the problem.

"...need to be thinned out". According to who?

I know this is a live and let live community on this forum, and I'm a live and let live person - but killing wolves pisses me off.

According to ME if the wolfs cause me problems like killing things I want let alive IE livestock or pets then one of us has to go and I would rather They Go.
Good thing is I have no wolfs to thin out but I do thin out the coyotes and foxes when they start thinking my chickens are their next meal.

Let's refrain from getting into some sort of wolf debate, shall we? This is the Hearth Room, not Wild Kingdom. Rick

fossil said:
Let's refrain from getting into some sort of wolf debate, shall we? This is the Hearth Room, not Wild Kingdom. Rick

Okay - I hear ya.

Just to clear things up. Wolfkiller is a screen name I use on the alaska outdoor forum. It is a forum of avid hunters and trapers. I sure dont like to offend anyone. We live a diferent lifestyle up here in the frozen North. Just for the record the wolf is my favorite animal next to dall sheep. I do trap and hunt them but I would never do so if they were thretened or indangered. They are over populated here right now. I will not post on this again as this is a wood burning forum. If my handle offends any one plese pm me I will change it.

Chris

Thank you for your respectful reply. I try to never place judgement on another's actions because if I were in their shoes I may see things very differently from where I'm standing. Sometimes I am a bit too reactive and I couldn't understand why someone would flaunt killing such beautiful creatures. Please don't change your screen name because of me. That would hurt me. My credo is "Live and let live and be the change you want to see".
Happy burning.

-44 outside and say 76 inside gets you quite the differential, like 120. That's go to be a record. At -44 when you spit does it really freeze before hitting the ground?

Being at the top of the food chain means we choose what to thin.

My question to all of you who live that far north is WHY?? Boggles my mind! Makes me shiver just to think about it.

I didn't think you had any 'standing-ups' that far north to burn. Thought whale blubber was used?

How can you stand the cold and the dark for so many months of the year and not go crazy? I live in a state where we have over 300 days of sunshine so you can imagine that we experience nothing like that and things around here get a bit testy come late Jan. early Feb.

My hat's off to you for living in such places. My oldest son (19) is looking to go up to Alaska this spring for a job and to 'find himself'. Me thinks he will be home sooner than he anticipates. Dislikes heavy duty work and long hours. Personally, I think it will be a good experience for him. Time will tell if he actually heads out. He has had many plans like this in the past and nothing has come of them.

Impressed that one stove keeps you heated!

Highbeam said:
-44 outside and say 76 inside gets you quite the differential, like 120. That's go to be a record. At -44 when you spit does it really freeze before hitting the ground?

Being at the top of the food chain means we choose what to thin.

Interesting question. Mythbusters busted the myth that "draining the dragon" at 60 or maybe 70 below would freeze before hitting the ground. I saw the highlight clip last week that recapped some interesting holiday myths.

wolfkiller said:
I have managed to heat my old 1500 sq ft house + 1000sq ft garage so far this year with just a blaze king classic. It is -44 right now and I just heard the boiler fire. Bummer. I think I will be O.K. but I was so proud telling people I was burning no fuel in North Pole alaska. O-well. Mabey I will put another stove in the gagage.

What temp is your boiler set at? That garage is probably sucking up alot of heat, good idea to get another stove.

bokehman said:
woodconvert said:
P.S. There is a thingy called the equator...it's about half way between where you are at and the opposite pole...I hear it's a bit warmer the closer you get to it.
I'm at 38 North and tonight we are expecting an overnight low of 50F.

SEE...that's a big differential..ding nie 100 degrees....$5 says his boiler would not have kicked on if his low was 50F. Takers?

P.S. that 38N puts you at about Evansville Indiana http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

fossil said:
Let's refrain from getting into some sort of wolf debate Rick

I've heard wolf debates are a highly moderated event. They don't just let any ole riffwraff in....

No spit does not freeze before it hits the ground but if you throw a pan of boiling water out the door it makes a hissing sound and turns to snow. My t - stat from the boiler is set at 55 in the garage and 65 in the rest of the house. 5 total zones. It was the back bedroom that was not geting enough heat. The garage is not insulated as well as the rest of the house so it is sucking a lot of heat.
The reasons I live here: Hunting opotunity, Unexplored area, Lack of population, comraderie (us Alaskans look out for each other), Finances I am a carpenter by trade and a lot of places I would be lucky to make 40000 a year here I make close to 100000. Remember it is dark and cold in the winter but we get up to 24hr of daylight in the summer.

All good reasons to live there if that's what you need/want. But those winter temps are just a wee bit past cold. Not being accustomed to those temps it would seem to me to be all but impossible to live in those conditions but we are some adaptable buggers. Hey, on a cheery note I just saw this:

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/123008/sta_372411706.shtml

Stay warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.