Blaze king - king install in progress.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Deposit put down on a new king! But, in the stove location lives a pesky propane fireplace. At the end of this, I’ll have tried my hand at a raised corner hearth build.

If you’ve never torn out a built in fireplace.... don’t. It sucks.

here’s some pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: RIMatt

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Not too bad, you're making good progress. If you want fun, try removing a full 2 story masonry fireplace and chimney.

• Wow
Reactions: huauqui and Dustin

BKVP

Minister of Fire
A US Forest employee had pity on me and took me to a nice, hidden patch of western larch. But he didn't stay and help! 4 cords in the shed...8 to go.
20200704_183855.jpg

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
8EDE476E-0D3C-42A3-913E-275D6A9B2395.jpeg BCFA63CE-6E44-4ECC-9681-1B92D08A9336.jpeg

I gas stove once sat here and there happens to be a vent hole in the wall that you can’t see in this picture. Installer says we can use it. More to come on further pictures.
Also, my installer told me the OAK pipe for my stove is 3 inch.... I hope they’re right?

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
45B8CAAF-E1E6-43E8-BFF1-39BF246BBC00.jpeg
Current status.. see 3 inch oak pipe on the right hand side

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Yes, that has to be lowered to below the firebox.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 11.56.41 AM.png

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Sigh...do I wanna change it? No. Can I change it because we caught it now? Absolutely.

What’s the OAK size consensus? I’m about to remove that, fix the hole, and make a new one. They’re telling me it’s a 3 inch OAK and to make a 3 inch hole. But they also told me that spot for the OAK hook up was fine, annnd it’s not.

I’ll wait to hear back here before I start breaking stuff..,

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
The normal on a princess is 3” but a 4” is available. You can always reduce a 4” to 3”.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
The normal on a princess is 3” but a 4” is available. You can always reduce a 4” to 3”.
Thank you sir.

anyone know what side the OAK attaches to on the king? I’m currently staring at my hearth trying to figure out where I’m gonna make a hole..

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Just out of curiosity why must the OAK be below the stove?
It’s in the manual for one. The reason it’s in the manual is that the outside air connection being above the firebox makes it a chimney since it provides draft. You don’t want the stove running backwards!

mrd1995

Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
It’s in the manual for one. The reason it’s in the manual is that the outside air connection being above the firebox makes it a chimney since it provides draft. You don’t want the stove running backwards!
okay that makes sense, I wasn't sure if it was for condensation running down or not.

showrguy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2015
Marysville, Pa.
Thank you sir.

anyone know what side the OAK attaches to on the king? I’m currently staring at my hearth trying to figure out where I’m gonna make a hole..
The OAK attaches to the bottom of your air intake, it’s just a plate with a 3” hole And a small sleeve to allow You to attach your 3” flex duct..
So, it’s directly in the center, rear of stove..
Does that make sense ??

BKVP

Minister of Fire
okay that makes sense, I wasn't sure if it was for condensation running down or not.
The 3" will suffice. We provide a 4" for longer runs. 3" is lab tested to 12'. After 12', 4" is recommended to 16'.

I'm doing the same project. I'm moving to the new KE40. I'm using Magrahearth.com wall boards on the wall behind stove. Here's a couple of pics. Note location of F/A inlet.

Attachments

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Sorry about flipped image. These are non combustible, concrete!
2921.jpeg

Reactions: brenndatomu

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Check out their mantels! I wish I had a place for one....

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio

BKVP

Minister of Fire
20200811_172449.jpg

1 more cord and I'll have a 5 year supply.
15 cords of great winter warmth.

Reactions: MikeK