Blaze King King vs Chinook ... efficient vs clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
The BK King is rated at 1.67 gph while the chinook burns even cleaner at 1gph.

Yet if you look at the burning efficiency %age rating the BK King has a higher efficiency %age

So what is the difference between cleaner and more efficient and which is more desirable and why ?

Im seriously considering a Chinook before the deep freeze hits.

Smokey, the way you run your Englander is not the way to run the BKs. I would stay away from a $3000 stove. You are gonna burn it up. The efficiencies from these stoves are when they are turned down. Your heat will not be the same. When you are talking .65 grams per hour on a wood stove I don't think its gonna be a factor that you will notice in your burn pile unless you burn 15-20 cord a year. The Chinook is better compared to the Princess, not the King.

north of 60 said:
The Chinook is better compared to the Princess, not the King.

This... I don't think the Chinook can even TOUCH the output of a king. Maybe 2 chinooks could... maybe.
Keep in mind the king needs an 8" chimney and the others need 6"

the chinook was also north of 4000, not 3000 by the way :|

north of 60 said:
When you are talking .65 grams per hour on a wood stove I don't think its gonna be a factor that you will notice in your burn pile unless you burn 15-20 cord a year.

0.67 x 24hrs = 16.08 gr/day x 180 = 2894.40 gr/year ÷ 454 gr/lb = 6.38 pounds/yr,

Whadda ya talkin' 'bout? That's a good size split he'd be wastin'. %-P

Go for the higher efficiency. They both burn squeaky clean.

Battenkiller said:
north of 60 said:
When you are talking .65 grams per hour on a wood stove I don't think its gonna be a factor that you will notice in your burn pile unless you burn 15-20 cord a year.

0.67 x 24hrs = 16.08 gr/day x 180 = 2894.40 gr/year ÷ 454 gr/lb = 6.38 pounds/yr,

I wish I could run numbers as goodas you!
What can you tell me about burning 60# of wood in my stove in a 24 hour period.
2 year old ash..held my house at close to 75 in that 24 hour period.
Avg. temp for that period was 32f.

HotCoals said:
Battenkiller said:
north of 60 said:

I wish I could run numbers as goodas you!
What can you tell me about burning 60# of wood in my stove in a 24 hour period.
2 year old ash..held my house at close to 75 in that 24 hour period.
Avg. temp for that period was 32f.

AHHHHHHHHHHH dont give Batten to much credit. Some people just have to run #s to figure it out and a good gas/steamfitter just knows. ;-P

Can't wait till he tells me how many btu's I used in that 24 hour period ..I guess from there I could dived it by 24 to get the per hour deal..lol.
I'm really am interested on any input!
What would really be cool if the consumption could be compared to N.G.
I know..I know..a lot of variables. lol

Probably the right approach. Keep buying NC-13s or 30s for $500 or less on Craigslist as I have done so far and just burn the way I wanna burn cause its fun and I like hot fires. If they burn out in 4 or 5 yrs Ill just rinse and repeat.

Yeah.. i feel good about that ...

north of 60 said:
Smokey, the way you run your Englander is not the way to run the BKs. I would stay away from a $3000 stove. You are gonna burn it up. The efficiencies from these stoves are when they are turned down. Your heat will not be the same. When you are talking .65 grams per hour on a wood stove I don't think its gonna be a factor that you will notice in your burn pile unless you burn 15-20 cord a year. The Chinook is better compared to the Princess, not the King.

SmokeyCity said:
Im seriously considering a Chinook before the deep freeze hits.

I have a big heat load too. I wouldn't even consider the smaller firebox unless 8" is a show stopper. Heck, I'm considering 2 Kings side by side so that I can have them on offset 24 hour burn cycles.

SolarAndWood said:
Heck, I'm considering 2 Kings side by side so that I can have them on offset 24 hour burn cycles.

Do it.

Efficiency ratings have nothing to do with emissions. Some stoves, by design, send more heat up the chimney. That lowers their efficiency.

Really, emissions mean nothing to a real woodburner so long as they meet the minimum required to be installed in your location. Otherwise is is marketing crap. Remember that a gram is what a paperclip weighs. How many paperclips are in a single split of wood?

Come west and purchase your blaze king. Cut thousands from the purchase price as you cross the big M.

Status
Not open for further replies.