Blaze King, not my option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Double wall straight up into class A. No damper, not required.

I know of at least one owner other that the folks you have talked to that didn't like the BK. Mine came caked with creosote from someone who said it didn't put out any heat.

RenovationGeorge said:
john_alaska said:
I am planning on updating my 30 year old Earth Stove WITH a new EPA efficient stove. I was leaning toward a catalytic Blaze King Ultra. A nice large stove with an 8” flue would slide right into place with no modifications.

After checking into catalytic combustor stove and finding out how much babysitting was required to keep the catalytic combustor in operation, I decided it was not for me. I am a “load and go” guy. Once in the morning, and once in the evening.

Maintence and cost of the Cat unit is another negative.

Talking to Blaze King owners, their feeling are the same especially during -10 to -50 temperatures… I like the efficiency idea, but dependability overrides.

I am now looking at non-catalytic, Pacific Energy Classic, unfortunately I have to downsize and reline a 35’ flue…

I'm not sure who gave you that advice, but if you research Blaze King in the posts and reviews here, you'll find the exact opposite of what you've been told. Folks here love the Blaze Kings for their reliability, long burns, versatility, ease of use, and "set it and forget it" convenience. From the reports here, all the other stoves mentioned will require more babysitting, not less.

Welcome, and good luck!

Not sure what posts your reading, but that is complete one sided bullshit!
Blaze Kings are a fine stove, but no easier or harder to operate than any other stove.
There is no "magic" stove, period. You want 20 hr burn times, great, but you ain't going to heat sheet at that low an output unless you live in the south.

Wana bet on the 20 hour burn times with good heat?
Sure maybe not 10 degree f...but I have already done 17 hours with a 2/3 load and had some pieces of wood left with a lot of coals.
30-40 at night with 45-50 highs during day..over 75 at times in a 2500 sq,ft. house.

HotCoals said:
Sure maybe not 10 degree f...but I have already done 17 hours with a 2/3 load and had some pieces of wood left with a lot of coals.
30-40 at night with 45-50 highs during day..over 75 at times in a 2500 sq,ft. house.

I don't care what you claim. A load of wood has a certain BTU capacity. Your not getting any more BTU's out of a load of wood that the same load of wood would get out of any other stove.
When it is below 20 degrees, you ain't heating crap putting out minimal BTU per hr over 17 or more hours. A load is a load, and you ain't getting any magical extra BTU's out of a load. LMAO, just love how folks claim to get all this heat and extended btu's out of a load of wood, in ANY stove. The one advantage you have is a larger fire box, which takes a larger load for some more BTU capacity per load. Now unless you have a super insulated house and live below the Mason Dixon line, 17, 20 hrs or more ain't going to heat a standard pre-super insulated home. at 17 hours what are you putting out on low 5k BTU an hour? 6?, 9?. Sorry, you ain't heating this house or many others with that output, period.

BTW, heating a 2500sf house at 30-40 at night and 40-50 during the day is not an amazing feat at any means.
At those temps, with my mere, non cat, none Blaze King insert, I can get 14+ hours and still read 100-200 on the thermo and have plenty of coals left for reload.
When you have single digits, with 20+ mph winds, let us know how that 17 hrs is doing heating at low?
LMFAO

HotCoals said:
but I have already done 17 hours with a 2/3 load and had some pieces of wood left with a lot of coals

Are you kidding me? You haven't loaded that stove up yet?

Just saying the BK cat is doing way better then my old BK non cat..non thermostat.

Yes certain amount of btu's with a load of wood.
Making the most of those POTENTIAL btu's is the trick.

I know the temps are on the high side..but I just bought the stove recently.
If it does not do the job in the deep of winter..I will post it..trust me.
But I do have the knowledge of how older bk worked..24 years old.. to compare this new one too..and there is no comparison so far.

I'm not saying this stove is the end all..but just saying so far I'm impressed.

SolarAndWood said:
HotCoals said:
but I have already done 17 hours with a 2/3 load and had some pieces of wood left with a lot of coals

Are you kidding me? You haven't loaded that stove up yet?

Nope..for some reason I'm a hesitant to do so.
But I will when the cold temps get here..I'm sure it will be fine.
I never loaded up my old one all the way either..not once.
I was always afraid that's when it would runaway or something.

Hogwildz said:
When you have single digits, with 20+ mph winds, let us know how that 17 hrs is doing heating at low?
LMFAO

I do 12 hour burn cycles in those conditions but 17 is far from low burn with good dry hardwood. 25,000,000/128*3.75*.8/17 gives just under 35K average over the course of that 17 hour burn. Someone want to check my math?

Hogwildz said:
HotCoals said:

I don't care what you claim. A load of wood has a certain BTU capacity. Your not getting any more BTU's out of a load of wood that the same load of wood would get out of any other stove.
When it is below 20 degrees, you ain't heating crap putting out minimal BTU per hr over 17 or more hours. A load is a load, and you ain't getting any magical extra BTU's out of a load. LMAO, just love how folks claim to get all this heat and extended btu's out of a load of wood, in ANY stove. The one advantage you have is a larger fire box, which takes a larger load for some more BTU capacity per load. Now unless you have a super insulated house and live below the Mason Dixon line, 17, 20 hrs or more ain't going to heat a standard pre-super insulated home. at 17 hours what are you putting out on low 5k BTU an hour? 6?, 9?. Sorry, you ain't heating this house or many others with that output, period.

BTW, heating a 2500sf house at 30-40 at night and 40-50 during the day is not an amazing feat at any means.
At those temps, with my mere, non cat, none Blaze King insert, I can get 14+ hours and still read 100-200 on the thermo and have plenty of coals left for reload.
LMFAO

Not sure why this angers you.

SolarAndWood said:
Hogwildz said:
LMFAO

I do 12 hour burn cycles in those conditions but 17 is far from low burn with good dry hardwood. 25,000,000/128*3.75*.8/17 gives just under 35K average over the course of that 17 hour burn. Someone want to check my math?

17 hours and I still have some chunks left.
Plus I have been playing with the stove off and on.
That's on one or a little better.
I just realized the other day that it can go below one...lol.

Ok..before I go to bed I'll load her up and tell people here to not touch it.
My stepson has put wood in the last two days before I got home...he likes playing with it also..lol.
I bet I can go over 30 hours and still have some pieces left if I fill it.
We have been putting maybe 4 or 5 decent size splits in it for the most part..probably not even near 2'3..more like a half load.

BrowningBAR said:
Hogwildz said:
HotCoals said:

LMFAO

Not sure why this angers you.
Probably just found another crack in his Summit? :lol: Sorry, low blow.

Hogwildz said:
HotCoals said:

LMFAO
i have the princess and after 19 hours today with hard wood stove was still at 250. and when its cold cold i can still get 12 hours in my house. and it be plenty warm in the house.

If I can get 12 good heating hours in the dead of winter I will be happy.
8 was about it with the old BK..if I let it go for 10 there was a good chance I would have to start it again..or at least use small kindling.
It was in need of a new door gasket...for sure on the glass door..my solid door was always better at a longer fire...I had both the whole time.
I have a very strong draft also.

BrowningBAR said:
There are experienced burners here that prefer non-cat stoves. I have both... and a pre-EPA stove. Nothing wrong with choosing one over the other. But I'm only saying not to base the decision based on incorrect information.

What he said. My newbie understanding is that both types have advantages and disadvantages-- I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Some interesting posts, that's for sure!

I grew up heating with wood. My Dad built a homemade stove in the basement of their house and it has air ducts routed same way a hot air furnace would.

Had to check on the stove and re-feed every ~6 hrs. Usually someone would load it up for the night around 9-10PM, then around 5AM my Dad would check/reload, then around 7-8AM, another check re-load, then around noon time again (Mom would come home for lunch) then again around 4PM when us kids would get home... then around 6-7PM....
I think you get the idea. I know this is typical since the stove my Dad had in his workshop was the same way.

I got the Blaze King Princess for my house this fall and I can't me happier with it. I have had no trouble keeping my house at 75* with the stove turned on low and the burn times have been awesome.

Example I loaded the stove at 8PM last night, when I got home around 10AM it was still going fine. I moved a few logs around toward the middle and headed for bed. Woke up at 6PM and still going with plenty of coals to start a fresh fire. Yes it was only 15* out, though the 60-70mph winds made it COLD. They said on the radio -20* with windchill.

Guy that is talking about BTU output and what not... No the stove doesn't make magic, but if you have close to zero BTUs going out chimney and staying in stove that is where the heat/burn time comes from.
Compare to my friend with a fireplace. Burning same wood. Can crank that fireplace till the carpet near it is about melting, but it won't hold a fire overnight even.

The stove has one lever and one dial. Even a caveman can figure it out.

Attachments

• P1000407.jpg
    P1000407.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 467
NATE379 said:
Some interesting posts, that's for sure!

I grew up heating with wood. My Dad built a homemade stove in the basement of their house and it has air ducts routed same way a hot air furnace would.

Had to check on the stove and re-feed every ~6 hrs. Usually someone would load it up for the night around 9-10PM, then around 5AM my Dad would check/reload, then around 7-8AM, another check re-load, then around noon time again (Mom would come home for lunch) then again around 4PM when us kids would get home... then around 6-7PM....
I think you get the idea. I know this is typical since the stove my Dad had in his workshop was the same way.

I got the Blaze King Princess for my house this fall and I can't me happier with it. It has not gotten really cold yet, 10-15* about the coldest, though with the wind yesterday they were saying it was around -20*. I have had no trouble keeping my house at 75* with the stove turned on low and the burn times have been awesome.

Example I loaded the stove at 8PM last night, when I got home around 10AM it was still going fine. I moved a few logs around toward the middle and headed for bed. Woke up at 6PM and still going with plenty of coals to start a fresh fire.

The stove has one lever and one dial. Even a caveman can figure it out.

That made me laugh. In my book, I have that penciled in as "Really Cold". 0-9°F is listed as "Damn Cold". Below that is "Effing Cold".

Haha. It's 12* right now. I was thinking this morning I should pull my winter coat out of storage cause it's starting to get chilly.

Pic is from last year, Nov 20, noon time. I don't have any others from the winter, but it for sure hit at least -20*.

The OP is from Fairbanks and -50* is quite common. My friend sent me some pics last year with him standing near an outdoor thermostat reading -62*. Brrrrr!

Attachments

• Imgp1336.jpg
    Imgp1336.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 460
NATE379 said:
I got the Blaze King Princess for my house this fall and I can't me happier with it. I have had no trouble keeping my house at 75* with the stove turned on low and the burn times have been awesome.

That's great! How big is your house, and how well insulated/tight is it? Thanks for the info!

~1400 sq ft (3 bed/2 bath), though I have heated the attached garage with it as well (that is another 625sq/ft)

House is sealed and insulated well but it's not a "super" house that can be heated with 3 candles either.

I'm not angry, nor saying Blaze King is not a good stove.
BTU's is BTU's.
What makes you say a Blaze King has less heat going up the flue, and this is why it utilizes more heat is something I just ain't buying.
No modern EPA stove without modifications can be closed down all the way. So they can only be restricted so much. And a cat does nothing more to block heat from going up the flue any more than a baffle or tubes does.
So not sure what the theory or reasoning that a certain stove slows draft more than any other stove.
Facts are, Blaze King , cat stove, non cat Stoves and even my "Cracked" Summit are all good stoves. The burn times come from how hot they are burned, what type wood fuel is used, draft etc.
Can you turn the Blaze King down and smoke the glass up while the cat is burning the smolder, from what I read, ya sure can. And heating a 1400sf home, which realistically is a relatively small home is not a great accomplishment. Not knocking the home, nor the stove. But guys, if any one stove was the true god send, all other manufacturers would have zip or close to zip for sales.
Bottom line, Summit, Blaze KIng, Quad, VC, whatever, in this house, NONE of them would heat this house of 2666sf at a low burn with single digits or colder for 16, 19, 20 hours etc. Ain't happening. Just ain't enough BTU output going on with a low burn at those temps.

SolarAndWood said:
Hogwildz said:
LMFAO

Just curious Solar, but where are you coming up with those figures? I honestly don't see how you got them, may have to explain it to me like I am real slow , seriously ;)

I think Hogwildz has a few valid points. These Blaze Kings are not magic heaters. BB stated in another post, that there are only so many BTU's in a given chunk of wood- extracting them at a high or low ratio depends on the setting you choose. I'm learning to burn my BKK, and might have jumped the gun regarding the capabilities of the stove, or at least my initial impressions of the heat output. The BKK is not the heater my Timberline was, but it burns alot longer on the same load of wood( both about 3.6-7 cf inside the brick), and slowly, the BKK is bringing my frontroom temps. above 70 °F . The outside temps. are not bad, 18 °F as I type, so I will monitor and evaulate the BKK over the winter. So far, gentle heat is an understatement, as you have to look in the box to make sure it's even on fire. It's a drastic adjustment for my wife, who tells me she misses the constant adjustments to the old stove. The BKK is "boring". So I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet,but I see light at the end of the flue.

I didn't say anywhere I said that any other stove was chit or anything like that.

All I know is I like my Blaze King and that is what I posted. I don't know where the heat goes, and I have no idea how it burns for a long time. All I know is that it's 5* outside right now and it's 75* in my house and I have spent near nothing on natural gas.

NATE379 said:
I didn't say anywhere I said that any other stove was chit or anything like that.

All I know is I like my Blaze King and that is what I posted. I don't know where the heat goes, and I have no idea how it burns for a long time. All I know is that it's 5* outside right now and it's 75* in my house and I have spent near nothing on natural gas.

That my friend is what its truly all about! Kudos to you.
Nothing better than giving the oil or gas man, the big ol finger. Enjoy your heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.