Blaze king or regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olson24

Feb 5, 2017
Appleton wi
We’re going to be installing a wood stove to heat our house. We are wanting something highly efficient, with a large firebox. Leaning towards a blaze king king 40 or a regency f5200. What’s your opinions on them.

We’re going to be installing a wood stove to heat our house. We are wanting something highly efficient, with a large firebox. Leaning towards a blaze king king 40 or a regency f5200. What’s your opinions on them.
Blazeking will burn longer but look like crap doing it. Both are good stoves it really depends on your needs

Both are good stoves it really depends on your needs
He's in Appleton..he needs serious heat. Unless he lives in a Hobbit house.
Milw.-raised boy here, and he's another zone colder yet. _g Windy up there, too.

I highly recommend the blaze king not just for performance but they really have these stoves dialed in. They’ve been making the for a long time. I like the way they look and you will appreciate the shape when reloading

He's in Appleton..he needs serious heat. Unless he lives in a Hobbit house.
Milw.-raised boy here, and he's another zone colder yet. _g Windy up there, too.
Both stoves can make good heat it really depends on the house. The bk can burn much lower though.

Only the Bk has the ability to burn hot or burn for 40 hours on low with thermostatic output control. A much wider range of output.

The BK is more efficient.

Only the Bk has the ability to burn hot or burn for 40 hours on low with thermostatic output control. A much wider range of output.

The BK is more efficient.
More efficient by how much? I agree on the other points but the regency will put out more btus according to the numbers. But the bk wins for turndown no question

I can't handle the Blaze King Holy Wars any more. I hear enough stories of using 3 toothpicks and a Blaze King can burn on that load 354 hours and magically, have coals in which to relight...

You know, I think it was a Blaze King that was used to lift the Apollo Saturn V off the ground. I think it was 5 of them arranged in a circle at the bottom of the stage...

I can't handle the Blaze King Holy Wars any more. I hear enough stories of using 3 toothpicks and a Blaze King can burn on that load 354 hours and magically, have coals in which to relight...

You know, I think it was a Blaze King that was used to lift the Apollo Saturn V off the ground. I think it was 5 of them arranged in a circle at the bottom of the stage...

My Princess can burn a long time but it ain’t on 3 toothpicks. The beauty of the BK is the control over the burn that is offered. I didn't really believe it until I bought one. Part of my motivation for buying was to see what the fuss was all about. ;lol

Reactions: lsucet and Tar12
More efficient by how much? I agree on the other points but the regency will put out more btus according to the numbers. But the bk wins for turndown no question

I said the BK was more efficient because the OP specifically asked. If you want to find out by how much then you can check the epa list and contribute that.

The wide range of outputs and thermostatic control of that output level is way more important.

Both are big and both need that old school 8” pipe.

Both stoves can make good heat it really depends on the house. The bk can burn much lower though.
Right, we need some details on the space to be heated, like sq.ft, layout, insulation level and air-sealing.
If he wants the large box in order to cram in as much wood as possible, but the space isn't all that large, or it's super-insulated, he may want the BK for the long, low action.
I was just recalling my days in Oshkosh; I damn near froze my arse off. :eek:

Last edited:
I said the BK was more efficient because the OP specifically asked. If you want to find out by how much then you can check the epa list and contribute that.

The wide range of outputs and thermostatic control of that output level is way more important.

The regency has a pretty good range of outputs as well. Yes the bk has an advantage on the low end without question. But the regency has the advantage on the high end. It really depends what they need.

Reactions: Highbeam
We have a Regency F2400 and heat our 2500 sq ft split level 100% with it. I don’t have any experience with a blaze king but I hear great things. However to be honest I don’t know what more you can ask for out of a stove. Longer burn times are great but if a longer burn means lowers temps that doesn’t help a lot of times. Also in south eastern PA so our weather I’m sure it quite a bit different.

Please read this. It is factual.

When you test a wood heater to M28R (crib fuel), the test is considered over when the scale reads ZERO.

When you test to the EPA ATM, alternative test method using cordwood, the test is considered over when 80% of the fuel load is consumed.

Over simplified, your Btu's loaded divided by duration of burn ='s Btu's achieved. If you make a wood heater that can have a long tail (full length of test run) it pulls down your Btu's rating.

Read our comments filed to the 2015 NSPS, allowing for multiple test method platforms allows for apples to banana comparisons.

Regency is a well run company with talented engineering. Their products do the job indicated. But No other wood heater provides the level of even heat that our thermostat provides.

OP, you'll be happy with either stove. I'll be happy too, so long as you burn good, properly cared for fuel and conduct once a year annual maintenance.

Lastly, I do believe both qualify for the 25D Federal tax credit of 26%. So double check on EPA's list.

Thank you all from Fairbanks!

If I might paraphrase..., that’s a long way of saying peak output per the epa chart does not accurately state high end btu outputs. The 2 stove models being compared are both very large stoves that both can run 800 and will make approximately the same peak output as a result.

Only one of them has the ability to also, if desired, run low and slow for when you don’t need that much heat.

How much that matters is dependent on the needs of the OP. Also consider things like cat cost and accessibility.

Reactions: lsucet
If I might paraphrase..., that’s a long way of saying peak output per the epa chart does not accurately state high end btu outputs. The 2 stove models being compared are both very large stoves that both can run 800 and will make approximately the same peak output as a result.

Only one of them has the ability to also, if desired, run low and slow for when you don’t need that much heat.

How much that matters is dependent on the needs of the OP. Also consider things like cat cost and accessibility.
You are forgetting that the regency has air tubes as well which increases the firebox temp considerably meaning more surface area at higher temps leaning to higher btu output. And the big regency has fairly good turndown as well. Absolutely not as low as the bk but not bad either. We have 2 customers who regularly get about 30 hours out of their 5100s. We havnt sold any of the 5200s yet but they really didn't change much at all.

But like you said it really depends which side of the btu range is more important to them. If it is low end go with the bk no question. High end I would go with the regency.

Reactions: Highbeam and rdust

The 5200 tests at 80% and the king at 81% really not enough difference to matter.

Reactions: Highbeam

I audibly laughed...my son even asked what was so funny lol. This made my night.

Obviously they are great products but I'm with bholler, not my cup of tea in the looks department. Perhaps we should petition the url BKhub.com to redirect here to save the fanbois a click ;lol.

Last edited:
@Caw I think the last time I ever woke up at night to load a stove was back in mid Nov of 2014, since then with the BK, its been set it and forget it, now as we enter March I'm transitioning to 24hr burn times per load, not bad in my book, and the stoves are not terribly to expensive for what your getting either, considering the t-stat technology , makes going to the moon look real easy.

@kennyp2339 There's no need to defend the stoves, especially to me. I even said they are great products. My comment about them was simply they aren't my cup if tea aesthetically.

The previous comment from @brazilbl was funny cause it's true and you're kind of proving the point. The only thing BK folks love more than their BKs is talking about how awesome their BKs are. ;)

Again, they seem like great products and I'd love to try one someday. But you have to admit the fanboi-ism can be a little funny sometimes. It's all in good fun!

@Caw I think the last time I ever woke up at night to load a stove was back in mid Nov of 2014, since then with the BK, its been set it and forget it, now as we enter March I'm transitioning to 24hr burn times per load, not bad in my book, and the stoves are not terribly to expensive for what your getting either, considering the t-stat technology , makes going to the moon look real easy.
I have never woke up in the middle of the night to load any stove. And I pretty much load the princess on the same time frame I did the regency. What stove did you replace with the bk?

@kennyp2339 There's no need to defend the stoves, especially to me. I even said they are great products. My comment about them was simply they aren't my cup if tea aesthetically.

The previous comment from @brazilbl was funny cause it's true and you're kind of proving the point. The only thing BK folks love more than their BKs is talking about how awesome their BKs are. ;)

Again, they seem like great products and I'd love to try one someday. But you have to admit the fanboi-ism can be a little funny sometimes. It's all in good fun!
I cracked up with brazilbl’s comment as well! I have to admit to being a fanboy though. If someone asks me which stove I wouldn’t feel good about steering them a different direction

I cracked up with brazilbl’s comment as well! I have to admit to being a fanboy though. If someone asks me which stove I wouldn’t feel good about steering them a different direction
Even if a bk was not the right stove for them??? They are good stoves but they are not right for everyone

Reactions: stoveliker
True, I guess in the op’s case a higher btu might be beneficial. It sounds like you have some experience with the other model and colder climates so you’re advice is for sure solid. Still, if there’s a chance the lower but’s would work for the larger part of the season like it is here then I feel pretty solid about the king.Better looking stove too! Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.