Blaze King Princess Insert - Inside Mount Adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If stack temperatures are low, wouldn't an insulated liner/pipe play a big role as well? Seems like an insulated liner would let you reduce temperatures, and perhaps run your Blaze King more efficiently.

If stack temperatures are low, wouldn't an insulated liner/pipe play a big role as well? Seems like an insulated liner would let you reduce temperatures, and perhaps run your Blaze King more efficiently.
It absolutely plays a role. There’s so many variables in wood burning, that’s why it’s so hard to differentiate between a problem with the stove, or a problem with the system.

I’ve had a bunch of BKs, operated them all at low temps much of the time and never had any creosote worth talking about.. I do clean a few with similar setups that have ridiculous amounts of creosote. It all comes down to the wood that was being used and keeping the cat in the active zone.. keeping the cat active is often overlooked.
Active cat or not if you are running 200 internal temp just above the stove you are going to have creosote issues.

I was typically running 25 to 35 degrees cooler on the stack with the princess than I did with the regency. Similar mc on the same chimney and I got 3x the creosote. Now those are pipe surface temps so internal would be a larger difference

The fancy cutout stove pipe demonstration piece is meant to show how the smoke comes and goes with the cat engagement and also how little heat "can" be released while still burning clean. I do not believe the intent is to instruct anyone to actually burn loads with 200 degree flue temperatures long term.

It's like a dyno test shows peak HP for an engine which is not how you are supposed to run the engine all the time.

I'm one of the people that feels the need to run flue temps on my BK a little higher, say 300, to minimize condensation in the flue. Even at those higher flue temps, the efficiency of this stove is extremely high. It just means the burn rate is a bit above the minimum possible. 300 degree flue temps is still a 24 hour reload schedule. It's still very low.
Probe10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bholler