Blaze King princess OR Ideal Steel??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chopernator

Jul 5, 2011
U.S.A
www.woodheat.org
Want to purchase a new one but cant decide which one! I like the idea of the thermostat on the Princess but the ideal steel has a bigger box and has a higher btu rate but at the same time the princess can burn for at least 40hrs on low but 12 to 14hrs on the Ideal steel. Great stoves and the ideal steel can heat up to 2200sqft and the Princess 2500sqft....Anyone can guide me or any thoughts, thanks..

How big is your house? Either stove is a winner.

How big is your house? Either stove is a winner.
2100sqft ranch and the stove is on one end of the house then just flows back to the other side towards bedrooms and the hallway on cold days is like 61 62 degrees and thats with the fire going strong but then again its only made for up to 1100 sqft lol....

I have a Woodstock PH, but if faced with your dilemma I'd probably get the princess, you can't beat their burn times and if you need heat, it's there. Get the blower, the IS doesn't have a blower.

I have a Woodstock PH, but if faced with your dilemma I'd probably get the princess, you can't beat their burn times and if you need heat, it's there. Get the blower, the IS doesn't have a blower.
ok thanks...

Being able to use a heating stove as a cook stove is important to me and might sway my decision if faced with these two heaters.

You can cook just fine on either. They both have single wall tops and get hot.

Tough choice. The is has more space inside but you can’t use it all unless you chuck wood in sideways because the roof has a radical slope. Both stoves are very efficient, both good companies. The is is much cheaper but the bk has a thermostat and a wider range of outputs.

Nobody with an is has been able to run it as low and slow as the bk. I really like the super low and long burns in my climate since we have a nine month long but moderate heating season.

Since the stoves are the same size and both can only run to 800 or so, both have the same maximum output. With the blower, you can even get more.

We’ve had lots of Woodstock vs. bk threads. Those threads go on forever because there is no right answer. These brands both make awesome products unmatched by others.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
One more thought. If I had to replace my stove and bk was unavailable I would get the IS. It’s really that good. Performance specs, price, and reviews.

You can cook just fine on either. They both have single wall tops and get hot.

Tough choice. The is has more space inside but you can’t use it all unless you chuck wood in sideways because the roof has a radical slope. Both stoves are very efficient, both good companies. The is is much cheaper but the bk has a thermostat and a wider range of outputs.

Nobody with an is has been able to run it as low and slow as the bk. I really like the super low and long burns in my climate since we have a nine month long but moderate heating season.

Since the stoves are the same size and both can only run to 800 or so, both have the same maximum output. With the blower, you can even get more.

We’ve had lots of Woodstock vs. bk threads. Those threads go on forever because there is no right answer. These brands both make awesome products unmatched by others.
The heat output of the is will be higher. The firebox temps will be higher with a hybrid meaning more temp on more surface area. But absolutly the bk burns much lower. Cosmetically while i dont love the is it looks way better than the princess if that matters to you.

The heat output of the is will be higher. The firebox temps will be higher with a hybrid meaning more temp on more surface area. But absolutly the bk burns much lower. Cosmetically while i dont love the is it looks way better than the princess if that matters to you.

I see that the max btu is rated higher on the IS but I just don’t understand how that can be possible. Same amount of surface area, same max temperature (no glowing allowed!), should mean same output. How does burn technology make any difference at all? Perhaps more infrared heat through the glass?

However they did it, Woodstock kicked bk’s butt on the maximum rated btu output. I just can’t believe it. Makes no sense.

Fortunately, just about zero time is spent at high output for the huge majority of woodburners.

I see that the max btu is rated higher on the IS but I just don’t understand how that can be possible. Same amount of surface area, same max temperature (no glowing allowed!), should mean same output. How does burn technology make any difference at all? Perhaps more infrared heat through the glass?

However they did it, Woodstock kicked bk’s butt on the maximum rated btu output. I just can’t believe it. Makes no sense.

Fortunately, just about zero time is spent at high output for the huge majority of woodburners.
I have heard many times that no one uses max output. And while that is true for some there are many people who push their stoves hard allot of the time.

As far as how they do it we hear about the long burn times even on high from all of the bk guys. Well given the same ammount of wood and similar efficencies a longer burn time means less heat. No way around that. There is nothing wrong with that as long as it meets your btu needs. But it doesnt for some people.

Reactions: Ashful and Alpine1
I have heard many times that no one uses max output. And while that is true for some there are many people who push their stoves hard allot of the time.

As far as how they do it we hear about the long burn times even on high from all of the bk guys. Well given the same ammount of wood and similar efficencies a longer burn time means less heat. No way around that. There is nothing wrong with that as long as it meets your btu needs. But it doesnt for some people.

Nobody is saying that no one uses max output.

Do you suppose that at max output that the IS can fully consume its fuel in half (whatever the relative max rating ratio is) the time as a princess on high?

One more IS plus is the very low emissions if you care about that.

Nobody is saying that no one uses max output.

Do you suppose that at max output that the IS can fully consume its fuel in half (whatever the relative max rating ratio is) the time as a princess on high?

One more IS plus is the very low emissions if you care about that.
I know you didnt claim no one uses max output. But you did claim the vast majority never run at max which is not true.

I honestly dont know if the is can consume a load in half the time or not.

I know you didnt claim no one uses max output. But you did claim the vast majority never run at max which is not true.

I honestly dont know if the is can consume a load in half the time or not.

Nobody knows because “nobody” runs them at max! Hah, jk. I think we all run them at max for some of the time at least during warmup. Whatever, not important. Having a big high top end is valuable and the IS definitely dominates here if you believe the ratings.

Woodstock’s are extremely rare in most places due their small sales and mail order setup. Does the op have a problem with this due to resale or dealership assistance needs? You can mail order parts and get phone help but there are no Woodstock dealers to come help you at home.

The IS does have a R 0.41 hearth requirement vs. just spark protection for the princess.

The bk has outside air hookup capability but I couldn’t find that for the IS.

The price! Around 2000$ is cheap.

You are stuck with a stainless cat element with the IS. I have grown to prefer the ceramics. This may not matter to most people. Steel seems to be taking over.

Last edited:
I’ve had both stoves in exact same spot and flue.

I like the IS quite a bit better.

Everyone has different home and heating needs, but I can get the same long burn time from IS as I did from princess, roughly 12-14 hours.

The IS shines at anything above a black box.

I get 0 smoke out of stack even at near full output with the IS in very cold temps.

The princess would spew smoke when the flames are raging in the firebox and burn out quick.

Of course, if you run it low and slow all the time that really doesnt matter.

Everyone has different home and heating needs, but I can get the same long burn time from IS as I did from princess, roughly 12-14 hours.

I get 0 smoke out of stack even at near full output with the IS in very cold temps.

The princess would spew smoke when the flames are raging in the firebox and burn out quick.

Thank you for sharing. Not many have had both.

I think the OP is trying to start a war!

I regularly run one of my BK’s on high. Burn time is 4-6 hours on high, depending on species I load it with, or 24 - 36 hours on lowest setting. I can’t speak for others, but what I appreciate most is the RANGE of output. I can’t think of another stove that can stretch a load of wood 36 hours, or safely rip thru the same load in 6 hours. When I say “safely”, I mean I can leave the damn thing on high and leave the house, without any concerns of overfire.

This one statement makes me really doubt anything you have to say. How quick a stove burns out is a simple matter of allowable burn rate, BTU’s in the box, and efficiency. Are you really complaining that the stove can be run on a high burn setting? If you don’t want it to “burn out quick”, then turn it down, it can go 40 hours.

To the OP: Both stoves you are considering are at the top of the heap on efficiency, quality, support, and everything else anyone could want in a stove. It really comes down to cosmetics, flue configuration, etc. You really can’t go wrong with either, they are two of the most adored stoves on this forum.

Reactions: Highbeam

I regularly run one of my BK’s on high. Burn time is 4-6 hours on high, depending on species I load it with, or 24 - 36 hours on lowest setting. I can’t speak for others, but what I appreciate most is the RANGE of output. I can’t think of another stove that can stretch a load of wood 36 hours, or safely rip thru the same load in 6 hours. When I say “safely”, I mean I can leave the damn thing on high and leave the house, without any concerns of overfire.

This one statement makes me really doubt anything you have to say. How quick a stove burns out is a simple matter of allowable burn rate, BTU’s in the box, and efficiency. Are you really complaining that the stove can be run on a high burn setting? If you don’t want it to “burn out quick”, then turn it down, it can go 40 hours.

To the OP: Both stoves you are considering are at the top of the heap on efficiency, quality, support, and everything else anyone could want in a stove. It really comes down to cosmetics, flue configuration, etc. You really can’t go wrong with either, they are two of the most adored stoves on this forum.
I can comfotably leave my stove running high and leave the house as well.

But you are absolutly right both are great performers with good reliability.

C'mon boys, time to circle the wagons! ;lol

Reactions: Nigel459

Hmm... My sirocco 20.1 (smaller stove) would never “burn out quick” (I admit this is subjective) even on high. No smoke either (not subjective). I’d say a bad cat on a BK would both spew smoke and “burn out quick” due to the thermostat feeding lots of air to a malfunctioning (not heating properly) stove. Just a thought....

Last edited:
C'mon boys, time to circle the wagons! ;lol
yeah, just the title of the thread alone is clearly enough to start a battle, er, some healthy discussion, around here. Maybe the forum owners? Haha :)

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Are you guys doing this thread again?

20180321_000117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This one statement makes me really doubt anything you have to say. How quick a stove burns out is a simple matter of allowable burn rate, BTU’s in the box, and efficiency. Are you really complaining that the stove can be run on a high burn setting? If you don’t want it to “burny
out quick”, then turn it down, it can go 40 hours..

Trying to run the princess hot, as in max setting, would produce a flame filled firebox. The amount of smoke produced at this setting couldnt be burned up by the combuster. The stove would run hot like this until it burned out after 3-5 hours.

The IS’s secondaries are able to burn the smoke in addition to the combuster at high running temps.

To get high heat output from both stoves the IS is more efficient and has longer burn times.

Trying to run the princess hot, as in max setting, would produce a flame filled firebox. The amount of smoke produced at this setting couldnt be burned up by the combuster. The stove would run hot like this until it burned out after 3-5 hours.

The IS’s secondaries are able to burn the smoke in addition to the combuster at high running temps.

To get high heat output from both stoves the IS is more efficient and has longer burn times.
We all have different experience. I do a lot of cold start on my stoves. if i start top down fire the cat get to temp quicker and closed the bypass in no time. run them on high to bring the house back to temp from anything between 38 to 45 df when i get there on weekends. that was my experience last winter, i have been this winter almost a 24/7 burner but still have lots of cold starts . I run them hot and after closed bypass the smoke is a lot less and when the box reach a good temp, lot of all that smoke is burn inside the firebox like secondaries plus the thermostat start closing and is just
heat waves outside. if dial the tstat to just around 4 o'clock it shuts and it is just secondaries for awhile. have to run fans at least at medium. I don't know why it has to smoke for so long. I burn mostly pine and yes, real dry and i dont have those symptoms at all. the same way i don't see the need of keep it wide open to get the most heat out of it. At this point i know my settings between the dial and fans to get the heat needed out of it keeping the cat probe pegged all the way and stove top temp for hrs. I never saw my other stoves staying that hot for that long as this stoves including, those had bigger firebox and i put more wood in. Just my experience about the smoke issue not how IS works or not cause i never burn on one.

I have so many other things going on that i dont know if i want to spend time on getting other stove just for the sake of testing it when my heating needs are solved, but i am thinking in buy a IS during the summer and run it next winter plus alternate it between both hearth and see. lol

Trying to run the princess hot, as in max setting, would produce a flame filled firebox. The amount of smoke produced at this setting couldnt be burned up by the combuster. The stove would run hot like this until it burned out after 3-5 hours....
I'm still going to suggest you had a bad cat (or wet wood maybe--not getting hot enough in the box to "throttle back" and consequently keeping the air blasting through? Or both...?)

My BK, turned on max setting would obviously start to "throttle back" the air once hot, which would be under 30 mins usually. Hot hot burn still, but lazier flames, not raging. It always burned its secondaries in such a hot box, with the cat working away of course, often not even glowing. I never would see smoke. Sometimes steam on cold days yes, but not smoke.

Just wanted to share how my BK behaves on "high" cause it sounds very different to your experience...

I would love to try out an IS, and in fact have needs for a couple more stoves in other locations. Strongly considering a Woodstock (thinking Keystone maybe for one building), so I'm glad to hear you're loving yours :)