Blaze king princess smoke smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ccarp

Nov 20, 2023
PA
I had a new princess insert installed this October and I have not been able to burn without getting a smoke smell. It seems to be coming from the door. I did the paper test on it and it passes around the entire frame, but upon checking the gasket I noticed the imprint left by the stove edge is right on the edge of the rope gasket vs in the center. I’m not sure if this is correct or incorrect. I have included pictures for reference. Not a ton of experience with this so any help is appreciated!

IMG_1466.jpeg IMG_1465.jpeg

The knife edge should be centered in the gasket to achieve proper sealing.

Reactions: Ccarp
buy a good monoxide meter to start, because it is very very dangerous to breathe smoke, for you and your family, do not joke

There is a decent amount of skill required to properly install a gasket like this. You can't stretch it, bunch it, twist it, or cut the corner too tight. You must use enough silicone, you must use the right silicone, and you need to place the gasket in the right place without pushing it in too far or else you get dips and valleys. You must use the original gasket from the manufacturer of your stove.

I think the installer of your gasket could have done a better job. He pulled it too tight through the corner. Your indentation looks like it would seal pretty well though.

The knife edge should be centered in the gasket to achieve proper sealing.
Thanks for the information, I will have to replace it
buy a good monoxide meter to start, because it is very very dangerous to breathe smoke, for you and your family, do not joke
I have lots of CO detectors but a meter is a very good idea, thank you.
There is a decent amount of skill required to properly install a gasket like this. You can't stretch it, bunch it, twist it, or cut the corner too tight. You must use enough silicone, you must use the right silicone, and you need to place the gasket in the right place without pushing it in too far or else you get dips and valleys. You must use the original gasket from the manufacturer of your stove.

I think the installer of your gasket could have done a better job. He pulled it too tight through the corner. Your indentation looks like it would seal pretty well though.
I appreciate your tips. When you say I have to use the original gasket from the manufacturer does this mean it is not advisable to replace the original with something like a Rutland gasket? My plan was to remove the original and replace it with a 7/8”(same size installed now) Rutland gasket.

What does your flue collar look like?

What does your flue collar look like?
That’s actually my next step if replacing the door gasket doesn’t get rid of the smoke smell. I helped the installer put it in due to him not having the manpower available. I noticed he didn’t caulk the flue collar or connection. I read in the manual you are supposed to, but I contacted blaze king and they said it’s not required and wouldn’t be causing the smoke smell. What do you think?

When the stove is running the chimney actually runs a vacuum, so it would be sucking in, but I have noticed with mine when running the stove from high to low, there is a period of turbulence that occurs as flue temps de-crease and draft slows down w/ a firebox fuel vapor rich - hence the no flames to flames period over glowing wood, this is when I'll occasionally get a light smoke smell in mine.

If you replace the door gasket do not use Rutland gasket. It’s not the right density. Only oem from BK in a thick bed of high temp RTV.

Be sure to check the door glass for gasket tightness too. It’s a simpler gasket but has been known to not seal well if the retainer nuts are loose.

The connection at the collar is what I'd double check. If the smell originates there, then when not running the fans, smoke may appear to originate at the door.

With blowers on, it would likely increase the smoke smell issue.

BKVP

The connection at the collar is what I'd double check. If the smell originates there, then when not running the fans, smoke may appear to originate at the door.

With blowers on, it would likely increase the smoke smell issue.

BKVP
I appreciate everyone’s advice. I finally got the time to dig into my situation. I ended up replacing the door gasket and that solved my smoke smell issue. The groove on the door where the gasket is supposed to be glued isn’t centered on the “knife edge” when the door is shut. So I had to hug the edges in some locations while gluing in order for it to be centered on the gasket.
I took your advice about the connections BKVP and I decided to take a look. What I found is creosote leaking through some connections. I was wondering if you had any advice for this situation.

IMG_1653.jpeg IMG_1646.jpeg IMG_1652.jpeg

And that is going to burn and smell big time! I think a great sweep/installer such as @bholler can provide guidance. I will write it again, that will burn off and that smell will get blasted into the home, and it stinks!! Paging @bholler

BKVP

Yeah that's totally wrong. It should all be stainless welded seam stuff in there and made specifically for a heavy wall liner so everything fits properly. You need to call back whoever did your install and make them replace with proper components

Reactions: weee123
These are proper insert elbows for the liner, 15º & 30º.

liner adapt elbows.png

Reactions: BKVP and Highbeam
We implemented a mandatory Tech Support Request form. It has specific questions related to installation and also requires specific images to be provided. Our use of this has allowed us to not assume anything about a particular installation (we've learned that the hard way). While there are still other questions/images that could be helpful, this form hits the very top identified issues.

Attachments

• Support request form.pdf
    292.4 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: moresnow
When the stove is running the chimney actually runs a vacuum, so it would be sucking in, but I have noticed with mine when running the stove from high to low, there is a period of turbulence that occurs as flue temps de-crease and draft slows down w/ a firebox fuel vapor rich - hence the no flames to flames period over glowing wood, this is when I'll occasionally get a light smoke smell in mine.
Is there a way to get this to stop? Mine is doing this as well.

Reactions: bikedennis
As the original OP discovered, it was likely an installation issue. First check the door seal. Next check all the connections.

When customer call us we now require lots of photos of the install because we often hear, "nope, that is good" and we chase our tails to help them. Then later, much later, we get photos and discover the issues. So now we require photos up front and other information.

Post your pictures here. As you can see, many of the guys here are installers, sweeps and engineers. They can help.

BKVP