Blaze King Princess Wood Consumption: A Little Story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought you might like to read a recent blog post that I wrote about how much wood we've used, including pictures of our wood pile(s). We still have a couple more months of winter yet, but we've only used about 2.5 cords of wood, burning 24/7 for four months.

We live on the East coast of Canada, where the winters can be harsh.

We renovated an old farmhouse, and we heat our house with a woodstove only (a brand new Blaze King Princess).

Our wood is terrible (unseasoned softwood. I know, no lectures! Next year we'll get it together!) but we're amazed and pleased with our success heating our house. Again, we only use wood (we don't have a back-up heating system at all).

Next year, we won't abuse the BK with unseasoned softwood, I promise.

We never would have splurged on the Blaze King if it wasn't for this forum, but we are so glad we did. Thanks for everybody's contributions to this site.

cool blog - i like the lonely mary pile - we were sitting here reading and the wife just told me that i have ti start naming the piles from now on.

Nice blog, Blaze King gets some great reviews here. I don't know why people think BK stoves are ugly, yours looks down right handsome.

How is your catalyst holding out with burning all that less than seasoned firewood? Any cracks?

You've only been burning for four months in a "harsh" climate. I'll go read your blog, perhaps you just installed it 4 months ago! In our mild climate we've been burning since the middle of October.

They make these BK stoves in my backyard and we haven't had an owner yet with a bad story about them. Oh and I think the freestanding classic models have a unique style that has been referred to as ugly. Looks like a head of garlic. The inserts look pretty standard.

How's the blower? Lots of air? Pretty quiet?

Wow, that's the freestanding model and looks great. I was under the impression that you needed a lot more clearance behind the BK stove.

I also burn softwood and a single good summer of drying has been sufficient for getting the wood under 20% moisture and ready for burning. I would advise figuring out how much wood you went through this year and then doubling that for your goal of cut.split, and stacked wood drying for next year. I had 12.5 cords stacked up before the burn season began in 2008 and now I have all summer to get back to 12 vs. trying to do the wood stacking in early spring (mud) to allow for the maximum possible seasoning time.

I have just begun exploring your blog, so far it is excellent with great links and photos that make it a real story. I also bought an old farmhouse though not as old as yours that had nearly zero insulation on some land here in Washington state so I've been through a few of the same challeneges.

Please keep us updated about the stove.

Wow, great effort on your blog. Its pretty cool how a simple stove can make such a fun and enjoyable addition to ones (keeping it simple) life. I have felt the same way with our experience. Iam glad that another person here has had a good outcome from the earlier comments on this forum for you to spring the cash to buy this model of wood stove. Just imagine it with properly seasoned wood. Welcome to the club.
Cheers N of 60

Good to hear of success in your first year. Congratulations.

Now next year you will have seasoned wood and you'll find you have better fires and more heat from your wood. But only 2.5 cords so far is doing very well.

We've not figured yet how much we've burned and won't until we are done for the season (May?) or close to it. We hope to start splitting very soon if the weather will only cooperate.

@f3cbboy:

And did you name the piles?? It's harder than it sounds to pick a name. Although at least with woodpiles you only have to have the name for a few months and then it's gone. Whereas with a child you're stuck with the name forever!

@Todd:

I agree, I don't think they're THAT bad. Although we did upgrade from the pedestal (box bottom) to the parlor model (legs), which I think makes a big difference. I would have loved a fancy Jotul or something, but I'd rather have long-burns and not have to get up in the middle of the night. That makes the Blaze King beautiful to me! No cracks...yet. Hopefully it stays that way...

@Highbeam

No blower for us. We cheaped out. Plus, the layout of our house means that the air circulates really well. You're bang-on about us not installing the stove until four months ago; we were freezing in October with no source of heat!

@Highbeam again

Thanks for your feedback!

That's great advice about doubling the wood that we cut this Spring. We will definitely endeavour to do that. We need to get one step ahead of the game. We're also going to be building a pole barn to keep the wood in.

In terms of clearances, I can't remember the details but we definitely followed the rules provided in the book and the fire inspector thought it was fine. We did have some side-clearance issues, but we were able to order side-shields that satisfied the inspector (and the regulations).

Aren't old houses fun!?? They are satisfying though. Or so I hear. We're not done yet. :)

PS: We want your splitter!

@north of 60

We're glad to be members of the club! It was actually quite tough to find a Blaze King here in our province, but we were so glad that we got it. Never heard of it before we came to this site. :)

@Backwoods Savage

Over 50 years of heating with wood your signature says. That's a lot of money savings!!! I hope you've sat down with a calculator and figured out how much money you've saved... We've only really been heating with wood for four months and we're already crunching the numbers and feeling pleased with ourselves. :)

It would certainly be difficult figuring the savings. You might be interested though that the price of fuel oil was .10 per gallon many moons ago when we were still heating with wood. Compare that to today's prices. I'm trying to remember the price of coal and it seems to me it was around $18 per ton but I do not remember for sure. But then, I've also purchase gasoline for $.079 per gallon. Read that right or round it up to .08 per gallon. How's that one grab you?!

Backwoods Savage said:
It would certainly be difficult figuring the savings. You might be interested though that the price of fuel oil was .10 per gallon many moons ago when we were still heating with wood. Compare that to today's prices. I'm trying to remember the price of coal and it seems to me it was around $18 per ton but I do not remember for sure. But then, I've also purchase gasoline for $.079 per gallon. Read that right or round it up to .08 per gallon. How's that one grab you?!

Is that seven point nine cents per gallon ? Not seventy-nice cents per gallon? I remember 35-cents a gallon growing up, and I remember seeing pics of gas stations selling @ 15-cents / gallon (in the 1950's, I thought). When was gasoline 7.9 cents / gallon?

Peace,
- Sequoia

hey whimfield - looking at our p;ile and thinking burnin betty??? the other pic we named forever as chris and isabella and the last is our stove the Jotul

Attachments

• P1010077.JPG
    P1010077.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 628
  • P1010071.JPG
    P1010071.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 624
  • P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 615
TreePapa said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Is that seven point nine cents per gallon ? Not seventy-nice cents per gallon? I remember 35-cents a gallon growing up, and I remember seeing pics of gas stations selling @ 15-cents / gallon (in the 1950's, I thought). When was gasoline 7.9 cents / gallon?

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa, you should win something for that! You got it right!

Around here, especially in the 50's and early 60's they used to have gas wars. One station would mark it down and the next would go a penny cheaper, etc., etc. I remember that we were going through Lansing on a Sunday afternoon and was ready to pull in and fill up at .099 per gallon when I suddenly spotted the .079 per gallon. We laughed about that one for a long time. Yet, when I was a little boy I can remember gas at .219 quite regular. I also recall when folks started saying that the price of gas was going over .30 per gallon. What! Highway robbery! How we wish it was that now...

Oh yes, and oil at .15 per quart was pretty regular.

And I also recall getting into the movies for .08 for under age 12. Once I reached 12 the price went up to a whopping .12. Oh the memories.

Whimfield I followed the link to see to pic of the Princess but was distracted by by some very interesting stories. thanks...I hope the both of you have a happy life together.

@Backwoods Savage & @TreePapa - No matter how you look at it, burning wood is money in the bank. :) Aah, the good old days! Energy costs keep going up, and up, and up.. It's crazy. I don't remember the good ol' days myself, but as soon as I started paying today's prices I knew we had to make a change. Our solution was to pack up and move to the country.

@f3cbboy - Burnin' Betty suits that good lookin' pile just fine, I think. Nice hearth, nice stove, nice kids! They look like happy high-energy kids--the best kind!

@savageactor7 - Thanks for checking out our blog and for your note. We have a lot of fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.