Blaze King PTJ 202 smoke shelf?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
I came across a Blaze King Princess PTJ 202 and am considering it as a garage heater. I looked inside of it and there is no baffle I see but, in the manual on Blaze Kings site it mentions the smoke shelf as an item on a checklist of parts. Made a call into Blaze King and the fellow said it was an obsolete stove and we have no parts, "GOOD DAY SIR!." Well, it's cheap, in good shape and so ugly it's cute, I might get it anyway just to mess with. Does the smoke shelf go on a PTJ 202?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,995
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 1,143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 929
I came across a Blaze King Princess PTJ 202 and am considering it as a garage heater. I looked inside of it and there is no baffle I see but, in the manual on Blaze Kings site it mentions the smoke shelf as an item on a checklist of parts. Made a call into Blaze King and the fellow said it was an obsolete stove and we have no parts, "GOOD DAY SIR!." Well, it's cheap, in good shape and so ugly it's cute, I might get it anyway just to mess with. Does the smoke shelf go on a PTJ 202?
Bushman,

I am in fact the guy you spoke to. As I mentioned in our conversation, the stove was never EPA tested or approved. In as much, it is illegal to install, trade barter, exchange ownership in many places in the USA and Canada. Laws vary from state to state, county to county. The parts are no longer available for this very reason.

As for the smoke shelf, looking at the original drawings shows, you can see straight down the flue collar to the bottom of the stove interior. As I recall that was an observation you made and I can confirm. You asked if you could add one. For liability reasons I doubt any manufacturer would endorse a modification.

I do agree the stove is not the best looking stove, but I have seen a few (very few) that are less attractive.

You might just try a flue damper to slow the burn rate and get more control.

Happy Thanksgiving and safe burning!

Last edited:
Bushman,

I am in fact the guy you spoke to. As I mentioned in our conversation, the stove was never EPA tested or approved. In as much, it is illegal to install, trade barter, exchange ownership in many places in the USA and Canada. Laws vary from state to state, county to county. The parts are no longer available for this very reason.

As for the smoke shelf, looking at the original drawings shows, you can see straight down the flue collar to the bottom of the stove interior. As I recall that was an observation you made and I can confirm. You asked if you could add one. For liability reasons I doubt any manufacturer would endorse a modification.

I do agree the stove is not the best looking stove, but I have seen a few (very few) that are less attractive.

You might just try a flue damper to slow the burn rate and get more control.

Happy Thanksgiving and safe burning!

OK, I think you might have my question confused with another thread where a member is adding a baffle inside the stove. What is the Smoke Shelf mentioned on the checklist ? With you being a part of Blaze King I respect your position and answer regarding modification as well as legal concerns. I found an old Princess that looks like it has potential and was puzzled by what the Smoke Shelf was and or if it was missing in this unit after checking out your corporate sites archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.