Blaze King Sirocco 20.2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@armanidog I have 4 seperate detectors one is a plug in on the floor lvl plug height, three in the ceiling that are a combo co amd smoke they were all going off, the floor lvl one was reading over 100ppm ( its digital ) when it went off this past Saturday at 3 am they're all under a year old.

@kennyp2339 I will give this a shot.

I have the original sirocco and a 20' chimney that connects to 6' of double walled stove pipe and a OAK. I have never had any issues at the end of a burn. I have had a problem if the draft was reversed when I tried to start it. Lotta smoke in the house. I now warm the flue for 30s or so with a torch.

When you turn your stove down and the alarms go off what does the wood inside your stove look like? And how does it react if you turn it all the way up? When your done burning what does whats left look like?

@Rickb the wood was chard and once I turned the temp back up it ignited again and burned until see attached pics on high with my windows and doors open until the fire was out. Ive also had a bit of leakage during light up but it happend with my last stove randomly too so I usually crack a window when I start fires. I just talked to BK today and due to my regions temps their units cant do an overnight burn its " too " warm out works better in single and minus degrees. Its supposed to be 13 and rain next week id like to use my fire to get the damp out. Also I was still in the active smack dab 12 nd my house was filling with CO, I also re looked at my lines on my dial and im inbetween 3-4 not 2-3 as previously mentioned. I still have yet to check with a bag as well work gets in my way. Overall not too happy that an apparent special temp has to be outside to have a fire as Ive never had this type of issue in the past I think im going to look for a non cat stove. I dont mind if a fire dies middle of the night and I have to learn to tweak a setting to make it burn longer but not when it leaks CO and im told to fiddle with the thermostat, that means you don't care for your customers health in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20201006_191151.jpg
    20201006_191151.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20201006_191142.jpg
    20201006_191142.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 115
I was burning my bk cat stove this weekend. It was in the 60s Fahrenheit outside. Just 12’ of chimney. Nobody died and it was delightful.

Sorry for your troubles.

Reactions: Smolder
This person ^^ just rubbing salt in the wound

No I think he's trying to say that there is some exceptional condition with your stove, that he has a similar scenario and no issues.

Keep looking for the problem. I'm sure you'll find it.

@armanidog I have 4 seperate detectors one is a plug in on the floor lvl plug height, three in the ceiling that are a combo co amd smoke they were all going off, the floor lvl one was reading over 100ppm ( its digital ) when it went off this past Saturday at 3 am they're all under a year old.

@kennyp2339 I will give this a shot.

Just so you know all 3 roof mounted detectors were going off together because they are wired that way. When one goes off all 3 alarm to notify you sooner. As is code in Canada.

I have one final thought: Can you see where the chimney runs through the attic. Based on your pictures the connections don't quite make sense to my eye. Is there a connection in the attic that has come apart filling the attic with CO and then allowing it to infiltrate the house?

100ppm is a lot of CO to get in a house from a wood stove. Especially if it's occurring multiple times. I feel this is something much larger than just a pinhole leak somewhere. I would think it would be quite obvious, and the attic is really the only place we can't see from the photos.

Last edited:
@ABMax24 Im aware that my combo detectors are interconnected my point with that is there all new and my father inlaw whose an electrician checked and tested them on install to double check'em after installed by the factory.

My pipe switches to the stainless in the attic I had local fireplace store check disassemble and reassemble in April/ May they couldent find an issue and they're a BK dealer it only leaks when its around 3 over night hasnt happend during the day, again which should not happen in any scenario with an OAK even the BK guy said it shouldn't happen yet it is.

My biggest concern is obviously the CO and if somone myself or my wife or daughter fiddle by accident or not or it gets bumped then all of a sudden big issue. Its not worth the what ifs and headaches.

Bad photo battery almost dead on cell bad lighting

Attachments

• 20201006_220636.jpg
    20201006_220636.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201006_221025.jpg
    20201006_221025.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 116
Update, after talking to my Warrenty people and them talking to BK im selling them back the stove. So now my question is what non cat stove do I get? My previous one was a Regencey ( I thought it was an enviro I was wrong)

Im very thankful for all your input and advice prior too and future. If this isnt the place in the forum for the new question let me know.

Im sorry the stove isnt working out, but I agree you have to have other things going on, or there is something defective in the stove. I am not sure I have ever heard of the issue you are having on these forums. I have seem with bad wood the fire going out with out burning completely, or requiring higher settings. I have heard of smoke smell leakage but not setting off CO2 monitors. Draft is for sure not as good when the outside temps are mild, and again cause some issues with bad wood. Back puffing, ect.

Im sorry the stove isnt working out, but I agree you have to have other things going on, or there is something defective in the stove. I am not sure I have ever heard of the issue you are having on these forums. I have seem with bad wood the fire going out with out burning completely, or requiring higher settings. I have heard of smoke smell leakage but not setting off CO2 monitors. Draft is for sure not as good when the outside temps are mild, and again cause some issues with bad wood. Back puffing, ect.

Thank you I hope BK looks closely at the stove, I talked to a dealer today and had a similar issue in a town 155 km north of me with a BK not sure the model.
As for my wood its well seasoned its been in my wood shed for almost 2 years and was droped a while before that. We built our place last fall - spring so last year with the exception of the spring where we tried we didnt burn at all until now.

Update, after talking to my Warrenty people and them talking to BK im selling them back the stove. So now my question is what non cat stove do I get? My previous one was a Regencey ( I thought it was an enviro I was wrong)

Im very thankful for all your input and advice prior too and future. If this isnt the place in the forum for the new question let me know.
PE and SBI stoves are less draft sensitive than some. That seems like a good place to start.

Reactions: ScottSteel
Try tightening the door latch a little in spite of passing the dollar bill test. Make it very tight. Lube the latch roller pin with spray molybdenum disulphide dry lube spray.

Hello looking for advice/ help.

Last March we moved into our new house 1200sqf rancher with a Sirocco 20.2 installed from day 1 we had smoke and co2 leakage. I added on more pipe now at 16' came factory installed with 12' added on a directional wind cap, I have fresh air intake and blower; my wood is a fir 2 years seasoned. The stove is still leaking co2 sounding off my alarm in the middle of the night ( super unsafe )Blaze king is so far doing nothing. My question is if a air tight wood stove is banked down at night why isnt the inside air going up? Im located on Vancouver island Canada the king came straight from factory installed in my house by professionals. Ive had a wood stove the majority of my adult life last one was an Enviro had zero issues with that one. By banked down I mean im at 2-3 on a clock.

Thanks in advance
-Scott
Hi Scott,

I have a Sirocco 20.2 in my house since Jan. 2020 and I was going to get and outside air kit for the stove till I read this, website link below.

I have smelt a creosote kinda of smell sometimes if the stove is set to low, like some are saying you have to play with to get it just right, to keep combustor lit properly (I believe it is coming from the door gasket, creosote is oily).