blazeking cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the people on this site have been great to point me in the right way and I thank you all for the help :)

If you decide to replace the cat you can get them cheap online. The best price I could find for my Grizzly was http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/products/. If my old stove had not warped and busted welds so badly I would have just replaced the cat. The link I posted is for a stainless steel cat, they are supposed to be more durable in the older stoves. My Grizzly had the cat right in the middle of the fire so flame impingement was always a concern. A steel cat can't crack and crumble like the ceramic models. Condar also makes stainless steel cats but they are a premium price for a premium product. Another benefit to stainless is they light off 100 degrees less than the ceramic. Hope this helps.

burleymike said:
If you decide to replace the cat you can get them cheap online. The best price I could find for my Grizzly was http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/products/. If my old stove had not warped and busted welds so badly I would have just replaced the cat. The link I posted is for a stainless steel cat, they are supposed to be more durable in the older stoves. My Grizzly had the cat right in the middle of the fire so flame impingement was always a concern. A steel cat can't crack and crumble like the ceramic models. Condar also makes stainless steel cats but they are a premium price for a premium product. Another benefit to stainless is they light off 100 degrees less than the ceramic. Hope this helps.

Mike, I'm not finding any stainless cats on that site, although they do have a stainless can around them. I believe those are ceramic that have a different cell structure than a standard square grid, point us to the stainless ones.

Something maybe being overlooked here is that when some folks talk about the "chimney temp" they are talking about the outside of the chimney using a magnetic surface temp and others are talking about a probe meter that actually measures temperatures inside the chimney. I wish I could get 300 inside my flue, my non-cat has to be above 600 to keep a healthy fire. Dang inefficient non-cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.