Blazers vs Heatrs if at the same price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellandee

Dec 4, 2014
California
The title pretty much says it all. I can get them both at $5/bag (as well all Olympus Sierra Supreme).

How would you choose?

Thanks!

Richard

From the posts I have read here, Blazers would win this. However, I have read positive posts on both brands so if it were me, I'd buy three or four bags of each, put them to the test and go from there. Let us know how you make out.

All I can say is early this week I bought a bag of Blazers at HD [OF ALL PLACES].
Burned the bag and next day ran over to HD and bought 35 bags.keep in mind I have 5 tons of pellets in my basement so room is tight.
Best pellets ever... Douglas fir.... wife sez," where's the ash?" SUPER CLEAN and 9200 BTU's. same price as the lower end stuff they sell.

I'd go with the Blazers.
I'm burning heatr's right now and they're pretty good.
I picked up 10 bags of Blazers last season from HD and they were the best I've burned.
If I could find them again this year, that's what I'd buy, that being said, the Heatr's aren't bad

I have about 20 bags of Heat'rs and they're okay, with one minor complaint. You'll read comments here and elsewhere that they seem to be a little on the sticky side, and some stoves won't feed them well. By sticky I mean they don't like to slide down the side of the hopper. If you have a large hopper, and want to load it up and forget about it for a day or so these might not be the right pellets for you. I check my hopper 3 or 4 times a day so to me it doesn't matter. Can't even find the Blazers around here.

The title pretty much says it all. I can get them both at $5/bag (as well all Olympus Sierra Supreme).

How would you choose?

Thanks!

Richard
I would just note that the OP, original poster, is from California, where they have different choices than us East of the Mississippi, primarily, they get more choices of Douglas Fir pellets. As far as I know all the Olympus pellet brands are 100% DF and meet the ultra premium PFI standard. They should be essentially equal to Blazers. I know nothing of Heat'rs, but others seem to lean towards the Blazers, which I love. I suppose the OP should choose from any one of the DF pellets then. Lucky, lucky!

You're right, chken. I'm from the high desert of California, at the very western tip of the Mojave, at 3000' almost exactly. People don't realize we get snow in the desert. and that we get First Frost around Halloween or so, and can't very safely put out tomatoes until April. We're 30 miles from town, and propane is expensive. But it normally gets up into at least the 40's most winter days.

We actually invented wind, it seems like. Trees grow at a 30-degree angle pointing east.

But you folks back east invented winter! I feel for you.

I'm running some Sierra Supreme DF pellets right now, but I hear the clunking many of you mention. The pellets seem longer than the Heatrs, so I'm guessing the pellet is having to break them. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from the Lodi AGP, I'll tell you.

I was happy with the Heatrs, and will try the Blazers tomorrow.

Reactions: chken
You're right, chken. I'm from the high desert of California, at the very western tip of the Mojave, at 3000' almost exactly. People don't realize we get snow in the desert. and that we get First Frost around Halloween or so, and can't very safely put out tomatoes until April. We're 30 miles from town, and propane is expensive. But it normally gets up into at least the 40's most winter days.

We actually invented wind, it seems like. Trees grow at a 30-degree angle pointing east.

But you folks back east invented winter! I feel for you.

I'm running some Sierra Supreme DF pellets right now, but I hear the clunking many of you mention. The pellets seem longer than the Heatrs, so I'm guessing the pellet is having to break them. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from the Lodi AGP, I'll tell you.

I was happy with the Heatrs, and will try the Blazers tomorrow.
Well, my older brother has a ski home at Mammoth Mtn, so I've driven from LA past your way and seen the snow! Good luck with the pellet testing.

I would pick the Blazers. I'm not overly thrilled about the Heat'rs I'm burning. Ok heat but lots of fines

Reactions: Peterfield
My nephews caught a couple 5 pounders this past October.
chken, 5-pounders from the Mammoth area? There are some very big trout in the lakes of the Eastern Sierra. I just about never fish the lakes, though. I much prefer a long hike with a fishing pole. No huge monsters in the streams, but tons of fish to catch!

Oh wait, am I hijacking my own thread?

I'm noticing I don't like the Sierra Supreme DF pellets. Seem to be too big, so the auger clunks. It didn't with the Heatrs. I'm putting Blazers in after I finish this bag of SS, then will make the choice of Blazers/Heatrs!

chken, 5-pounders from the Mammoth area? There are some very big trout in the lakes of the Eastern Sierra. I just about never fish the lakes, though. I much prefer a long hike with a fishing pole. No huge monsters in the streams, but tons of fish to catch!

Oh wait, am I hijacking my own thread?

I'm noticing I don't like the Sierra Supreme DF pellets. Seem to be too big, so the auger clunks. It didn't with the Heatrs. I'm putting Blazers in after I finish this bag of SS, then will make the choice of Blazers/Heatrs!
Ha, they're just little boys, I don't think they're ready to flyfish the streams. Better to give them some easy success, so that when they come to Maine for the Summer I can show them how to catch large mouth bass.

Good luck with the pellets, I wish we could have some DF choices. Right now we've got two, the $365 a ton Okanagan DF and the $239 a ton Blazers at HD, only when we're lucky.

I've burned several bags of each now, and for me at least, the Heat's are doing better. Almost no "clunk." The Blazer pellets look much longer, and the stove is pretty noisy when it burns them.

The Heatr's do make more ash, though.

Ha, they're just little boys, I don't think they're ready to flyfish the streams. Better to give them some easy success, so that when they come to Maine for the Summer I can show them how to catch large mouth bass.

Nothing like catching a small or large mouth bass on a fly rod. I head to South Branch Lake in Maine every June to satisfy my smallie addiction.

Reactions: Ellandee
Status
Not open for further replies.