Blazers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. They had Stove Chow as well. Passed them by. Waiting for the hopper full of Lignetics to empty as much as practical before I load the Blazers. Probably gonna be tomorrow. Problem is that this is the first time I've EVER seen Blazers around here so even if they beat the Lignetics I don't know if I can get a reliable supply.
same reasoning here....
I'm hoping someone at HD Command didn't screw up by bringing Blazers to the east Coast from Oregon and selling for same as the crappier stuff.

my pellet dealer always has an early buy Special for the Energex low ash Goldens in the Spring so I'm good there but I sure would like to score 4 tons of Blazers next year.

Reactions: Edward Hughes
same reasoning here....
I'm hoping someone at HD Command didn't screw up by bringing Blazers to the east Coast from Oregon and selling for same as the crappier stuff.

my pellet dealer always has an early buy Special for the Energex low ash Goldens in the Spring so I'm good there but I sure would like to score 4 tons of Blazers next year.
Well, dumped the first bag of Blazers in this morning. Still have some Lignetics left in the hopper but doing a quick size / color / smell comparison they seem identical. 23 degrees out and living spaces is 69 - 70f, right where we want it.

EDIT: On sticking my nose right into them I notice a very slight evergreen smell with the Blazers. Lignetics have none.

Last edited:
Well, dumped the first bag of Blazers in this morning. Still have some Lignetics left in the hopper but doing a quick size / color / smell comparison they seem identical. 23 degrees out and living spaces is 69 - 70f, right where we want it.

EDIT: On sticking my nose right into them I notice a very slight evergreen smell with the Blazers. Lignetics have none.
sounds good so far///
let's talk ash later... Interested to hear..

OK. First full day with the Blazers vs the Lignetics. Trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison here but a bit hard to do as outside temp is =~5f lower than yesterday but . . . . .

Stove settings untouched. Used maybe three pounds more pellets. Heat exchanger temp at inside center of air discharge baffle is approximately the same with distribution fan on constantly. Stove temp at center of inside baffle just above the flame is also approximately the same. Ash production may be a bit less but if so, nothing to write home to mother about. Room temp holding at 69 - 70f as set and as before. Conclusion so far: Blazers and Lignetics are comparable.

OK. First full day with the Blazers vs the Lignetics. Trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison here but a bit hard to do as outside temp is =~5f lower than yesterday but . . . . .

Stove settings untouched. Used maybe three pounds more pellets. Heat exchanger temp at inside center of air discharge baffle is approximately the same with distribution fan on constantly. Stove temp at center of inside baffle just above the flame is also approximately the same. Ash production may be a bit less but if so, nothing to write home to mother about. Room temp holding at 69 - 70f as set and as before. Conclusion so far: Blazers and Lignetics are comparable.
that's good to know because I'm sure it is lot easier to get Lignetics here than Blazers which come from Oregon and God Knows if HD will get them again and when.
by your comparisons I would get some Lignetics if blazers were not available..
[don't forget, Blazers did not show up at HD till December and NO WAY would I have waited till that late to get my 3-5 ton stash.
which I get early in the Springtime.. 3 tons I need.. 5 tons make me grin...==c

that's good to know because I'm sure it is lot easier to get Lignetics here than Blazers which come from Oregon and God Knows if HD will get them again and when.
by your comparisons I would get some Lignetics if blazers were not available..
[don't forget, Blazers did not show up at HD till December and NO WAY would I have waited till that late to get my 3-5 ton stash.
which I get early in the Springtime.. 3 tons I need.. 5 tons make me grin...==c
Outside temp is getting closer to my Lignetics baseline. Flame height seems about the same as with the Lignetics as well. One thing I have noticed is there seems somewhat less dust and fines with the Blazers but I transfer my pellets to a coal bucket in the garage and my Harman eats anything I throw at it so I don't sift or clean and thus that's not a big overall plus for me. More later if waranted but at this point I'd happily use either one I could get a steady supply of.

Outside temp is getting closer to my Lignetics baseline. Flame height seems about the same as with the Lignetics as well. One thing I have noticed is there seems somewhat less dust and fines with the Blazers but I transfer my pellets to a coal bucket in the garage and my Harman eats anything I throw at it so I don't sift or clean and thus that's not a big overall plus for me. More later if waranted but at this point I'd happily use either one I could get a steady supply of.
which Harman do you have btw?

Made but the same people and I've heard lots good about them but never used them
I bought 1 bag back in late October from HD...Presto logs. Bagged in Montreal Canada.[prob Energex plant there.]
They looked crappy. dog kibble came to mind,. kind of toasted brown smaller sized pellets.. But,
very low ash and pretty damn hot.
So much for eyeballing good or bad stuff.

I burned a few bags of Pres-to-logs last month and would buy them again. Good heat and less ash than others I have tried.

After four bags: Pros: Burn nice and hot. Very low ash. Biggest con: stove goes through them like you-know-what through a goose!

I used feed rate "ALMOST" #3 when I burned them..
My assumption is that the Harman, set at room temp, should automatically compensate for the pellet type being used thus the feed should be whatever is needed to maintain that temperature. Given that, if Blazers burn hotter than Lignetics the stove should cut feed back to maintain the same temperature.

My assumption is that the Harman, set at room temp, should automatically compensate for the pellet type being used thus the feed should be whatever is needed to maintain that temperature. Given that, if Blazers burn hotter than Lignetics the stove should cut feed back to maintain the same temperature.
Prob right...

I get around 14 hours -16 hrs out of a bag of Energex hardwoods, stove chows when I burned them last year, and prob the blazers I'm pretty sure.
basically bag/half per 24 hr day in coldest weather.

Prob right...

I get around 14 hours -16 hrs out of a bag of Energex hardwoods, stove chows when I burned them last year, and prob the blazers I'm pretty sure.
basically bag/half per 24 hr day in coldest weather.
Going to check the Lignetics when I switch back. Biggest noticeable difference is somewhat less ash with Blazers but I'll check again. All-in-all a very satisfactory pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.