Blizzard coming, what to cook on wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
We're expecting some massive weather, and outages are expected. We have a drolet wood stove (not a cook top). What are some things that you can cook up using pots/pans on top?
Clearly heating up soup, is a no brainer. I just don't think we'll be able to use the inside, when it's in the coaling stage much because temps are going to drop, and we'll have to be re-fueling quite a bit.

Would love some cooking ideas :)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: patrickk222
I put a griddle on top - pancakes, scrambled or OE eggs. Toast. Ham slices. Using bc a covered cast iron fry pan jalapeño cornbread, tamale hash, hash brown potatoes. Large covered cast iron pan roasts with veggies and did prime rib the other night

Reactions: PAbeech
1671658010709.jpeg

Just be careful, its easy to drip stuff on the top and it will bake in quick.

Reactions: PAbeech
I love dutch oven cooking. Make a chicken stew or some chili by using a trivet on the stovetop.

Reactions: jmb6420 and spuldup
Second dutch oven recommendation. Cooking on the wood stove is sort of like BBQ working with a live fire.

Polish sausage and sauerkraut with peppers and onions
1kz, today on our ranch it’s -30 some wind chill. Reminds me of winter in West Yellowstone training with U.S Biathalon Team. Man the weather up there along the Madison can be brutal. Accommodations in West Yellowstone in the early 1980s were also brutal.

Biathlon now that’s a sport! Yes it’s cold today hopefully for just a couple days not weeks.
I decided on Slow simmered green chili pork for tomorrow’s stove top.

I like sticking a cast iron pan with what ever inside the woodstove when it’s down to coals

A wood stove can be a great source of heat during a power outage, and it can also be used for cooking! Here are some ideas for meals that you can prepare on your drolet wood stove:
  1. One-pot meals: You can cook a wide variety of one-pot meals on your wood stove, such as stews, chili, or casseroles. These are easy to prepare and can be made with ingredients that you might already have on hand.
  2. Grilled cheese sandwiches: This classic comfort food can be made on your wood stove using a cast iron skillet. Simply butter two slices of bread, add cheese, and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
  3. Oatmeal: A warm bowl of oatmeal is a great way to start your day on a cold morning. You can cook it on your wood stove using a pot or dutch oven.
  4. Hot drinks: You can also use your wood stove to heat up water for tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Just be sure to use a pot or kettle that's safe for stovetop use.
  5. Baked potatoes: Wrap a few potatoes in foil and place them on top of the wood stove. Turn them occasionally until they're cooked through and soft.
  6. Roasted vegetables: You can also roast vegetables on your wood stove by tossing them in a little bit of oil and seasoning, and then cooking them in a cast iron skillet.
  7. Soups and stews: As you mentioned, soups and stews are a great option for wood stove cooking. You can simmer them on low heat for several hours to allow the flavors to develop.
ChatGPT, is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: RomanW
Has anyone used a stove top oven? For an extended power outage the light sheet metal ovens made for camping could give more options for cooking and baking. When you have baked your bread you could make toast on a vintage stove top toaster or, of course, toast buttered bread in a fry pan.

1676483498049.jpeg

Has anyone used a stove top oven? For an extended power outage the light sheet metal ovens made for camping could give more options for cooking and baking. When you have baked your bread you could make toast on a vintage stove top toaster or, of course, toast buttered bread in a fry pan.

View attachment 309764
There was some discussion on stovetop ovens maybe a decade ago? From what I recall, they worked ok for folks that used them.

How do you avoid getting and grease splatter on the stovetop? That would give me anxiety. I'm already having to repaint parts of it annually due to dog slobber lol.

Reactions: RomanW
its amazing what you can throw into a foil pack and toss right onto some coals to cook. We used to do steak packs this way whenever we camped.

Reactions: jmb6420
Osso Bucco, make enough for a few nights. Freezes well too

We're expecting some massive weather, and outages are expected. We have a drolet wood stove (not a cook top). What are some things that you can cook up using pots/pans on top?
Clearly heating up soup, is a no brainer. I just don't think we'll be able to use the inside, when it's in the coaling stage much because temps are going to drop, and we'll have to be re-fueling quite a bit.

Would love some cooking ideas :)

Thanks in advance!
You can cook just about anything if you just give it a try. It's heat you just have to figure out what container and how to use it. You can bake bread or biscuits in a cast iron dutch oven or roast a chicken, make stew or one pot meals like chicken and rice in the same dutch oven. I've baked biscuits in a cardbord box lined with foil and boiled water in a paper bag.

There are lots of past cooking threads in this forum to mine for ideas.

Blizzard...WTH?? Several weeks back, out in the woods, I saw the advance scout for the "Green Grasshoppers of Spring." Was he just trying to hoodwink, hornswoggle, snooker or buffalo me?? 🦗 Deceitful rascal.. 😏
PXL_20230117_202942510.jpg

I know whenever i lost power at my place in the winter which use to be about everytime someone farted hard enough but has gotten better throughout the yrs but none the less i've cooked soup, bavon, eggs , homefries, pork chops n steak u could prob cook whatever ya set your mind to