Block Off Plate Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
Have a question about Block off Plates. I have a Regency I2500 Insert, Exterior Chimney, Copperfield Homesaver Ultrapro liner (as far as I know that is insulated), Chimney is between 25 and 30 Ft. I told the dealer I wanted a blockoff plate when purchased and he said it was not needed. The Install was done when I was not here as they had a cancellation and I had a previous commitment, so I did not see what if anything they put in for insulation etc. I know I am heating up the external brick. Foundation Temp this AM was 40F and I got a external brick reading as high as 71F. So hear is my question. Would I constantly be losing heat or at some point would the heat escaping into the Chimney would get to a point where it heats the air to a stable level? In the spring I am going to have the dealer out and service the unit, I will see about putting in block off plate and insulation at that point.

Had a very similar setup in my previous home (Regency insert and exterior chimney) and got the same BS from the installer about not needing a block-off. I did a Mickey Mouse version by shoving some Roxul up there to prevent some of the heat loss and it made a noticeable difference.

-dan

I know ideally, a plate would be made to size attached to the brick and sealed, but (besides shoving roxul up the chimney) are there other options that would help?

I know ideally, a plate would be made to size attached to the brick and sealed, but (besides shoving roxul up the chimney) are there other options that would help?
Yes, if there is room, insulating behind the insert will also help. This can be done with sheet insulation like micore or roxul board, or it can be with blanket insulation like kaowool.

Yes, if there is room, insulating behind the insert will also help. This can be done with sheet insulation like micore or roxul board, or it can be with blanket insulation like kaowool.
Could I use Koawool stuffed into the old damper area to act as a pseudo blockoff plate?

Could I use Koawool stuffed into the old damper area to act as a pseudo blockoff plate?
You could, and that will improve things somewhat, but the kaowool breathes and will provide a leaky seal where a metal block-off plate will not. Also, the metal blockoff plate keeps dust from the chimney and kaowool from entering the room.

You could, and that will improve things somewhat, but the kaowool breathes and will provide a leaky seal where a metal block-off plate will not. Also, the metal blockoff plate keeps dust from the chimney and kaowool from entering the room.
How about a layer of ceramic insulation blanket with the foil (liner insulation) put over (under?) the rockwool?
That would stop the air flow through it...

How about a layer of ceramic insulation blanket with the foil (liner insulation) put over (under?) the rockwool?
That would stop the air flow through it...
If it is rigid, then yes that might work if it can be securely held in place. Maybe with side, angle irons? Cement board could work too. Rockwool with foil faced like this?

Last edited: